DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do these chips really work? Im looking at a fuel maxx chip that sayes it can add 4mpg. What other things can i do to save fuel? I have a ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi.
Thanks ,Dave.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
From what I hear the chips don't work they simple mask sensors and can actually cause harm in the long run. What you need is a tuner which tunes the engine control computer. The stock program is quite conservative, the programmers allow you to optimize pretty much everything. I'm running the SC Cortex and noticed improved performance and MPG using the 91 tune.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
as RansRam said, programmers are the way to go, you can customize different setting of your truck... there should be quite a few posts on this in the forum.

welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I have yet to hear a confirmed report from someone using one of these chips and actually having an increase in fuel mileage. If you get one, maybe you'll be the first. :)

In the case of the tuners, I have read a large number of reports indicating the benefits are there.....HOWEVER.....
In my case (and I'm not alone here), I installed the tuner and have enjoyed the performance benefits SO MUCH, that I have experienced a rather substantial drop in fuel mileage. This is not really the fault of the tuner, but I will be the first to blame it for it's part in making my driving experience so enjoyable that after 1 1/2 years of owning the truck, I look forward every day to going for a drive.

Depending on the circumstances, a tuner can help you with mileage. Most of the time it WILL increase your smiles per miles index so much, that you will no longer care about the miles per gallon index. :smileup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts