DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity how many '14 Rams has had the fuel sensor fail. In short, mine went out at around 110k miles. Drove the ram for 10k before replacing it. It seems kind of absurd that it would go out so early in the life of the truck. Just in case you were wondering what the repair is... the whole fuel sending unit in the tank needs replacement. Dealer charges $1100 bucks to change it.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
6 bolts & unplugging some wiring
3 guys & a couple of 4x4s
Removes the bed out of the way enough to work on the fuel pump
A case of beer & some burgers takes care of the labor cost

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I had the fuel sensor fail before 20k. After leaving the dealership the new sensor lasted for 1/2 a mile before failing. After 30k the third sensor is still working ok.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Is this the one in the pump for fuel level, or the one on the fuel rail for fuel pressure?

I assume the former due to the cost

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,416 Posts
Mine has been intermittent for 10K miles, every few thousand it'll pop. Drop the tank and do it yourself, the sender itself is like $100.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Mine started going shortly after the warranty ran out. Very intermittent for a long time then started to die as soon as I ran ~6 gallons out of the tank. Still worked when it was full. I had an independent shop do it, cost about $400. Dealer quoted ~$1200.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Independent shops claim that that the aftermarket fuel sending unit is better than the OEM part
That’s not hard to believe since the oem one has a know high failure rate

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
That’s not hard to believe since the oem one has a know high failure rate

Every once in a while the OE part has a real design flaw but they just keep making them. That gives the aftermarket a high volume application to really spend some time & effort making a better mouse trap. We used to run our production line for the Ford modular V8 ignition coils 24/7 as we had a significantly better and cheaper coil. Most people would change all 8 at once because the labor charge was pretty high and it was pretty much the same amount of work to change one or eight. We had that line so automated that there was almost zero labor hours so we were quite competitive even with the Chinese. Unfortunately the big bosses decided to move all our ignition coil production to Poland.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine went out at around 75K miles. I was fortunate to still be under the extended warranty, $50 copay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The fuel sensor failed on the test drive, the dealership actually went and replaced that before I bought it. Since then after almost 10k miles, its been running fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine failed at 63k, the condition was P0463, Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input.
The needle will go to empty and stay there for a while, then back to normal. then at 67K the sensor died completely and it'll be pegged at empty without giving any other readings.

Dealer quoted me $1200 to change the entire fuel pump which contains the sensor, so i did some more calls bought the sensor Mopar 68141873AA from summitRacing and decided to let my local repair shop do the job for a lot cheaper.
Since the tank was out and they had the fuel pump in hand they recommended to change the entire fuel pump given the number of miles, labor was going to be the same to replace the sensor or the pump, for me it was a matter of an extra 30 min while i waited for the delivery guy to bring in the part. It ended up costing me $360 for a brand new Mopar fuel pump and $120 for the labor. done by one dude in about 20-30 min to bring the tank down, and another 20-30min to put it up.
I ended returning the fuel sensor next day to summitracing.

This is how the sensor looks like when you get it out of the box
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Fuel tank out and fuel pump,

Btw this is how the fuel filter looks like if you wanted to know where that filter was, bottom of the pump here

Reactions: Garc

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of my coffee crew, La Habra CA, 2014 RAM 2500 crew. Had one go out about year ago. Dealer charged $1500. He looked up the part and found it for $180 on the internet. Might want to keep investigating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine went out at 77k. Bought a new Mopar unit off of ebay for $144. Installed in my driveway with a jack and stands. Took about 2 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine throws a code saying the fuel sensor is bad every time I get under 1/4 tank, and the gauge drops abnormally fast from that point. Ive been driving it that way for a few thousand miles just because I haven't had much time to change it out. soon Ill order one and do it myself. seems to be a very common problem with these trucks

·
Registered
2 Posts
My fuel sensor just failed, sitting at 49k. Last weekend when I started it up the fuel gauge dumped and the failure came on. Within minutes it came back to full.
7 days later (exactlt) it died again. Now fuel level shows empty, dash shows fuel sensor fail. Oh, and the check engine light has been on, as it has been for the majority of time I’ve owned this truck. 2016 1500 v8. First truck, first ram, definitely the last

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
My fuel sensor just failed, sitting at 49k. Last weekend when I started it up the fuel gauge dumped and the failure came on. Within minutes it came back to full.
7 days later (exactlt) it died again. Now fuel level shows empty, dash shows fuel sensor fail. Oh, and the check engine light has been on, as it has been for the majority of time I’ve owned this truck. 2016 1500 v8. First truck, first ram, definitely the last
You made it to 49k before it failed? I had two fail in under 18k.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts