DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 1500 Bighorn Hemi has 38K on it. I just bought it a week ago from a local Acura dealership. It is a lease return with a clean Carfax. I picked it up on Sunday.... 5 days ago. Yesterday I filled the truck with Shell 89 octane per the manual. The truck was running great. Today about 24 hours after filling it I noticed my service engine light came on. I went to a local shop who read the code to be a P0463. I googled it to find out it was a fuel level sensor code. I wasn't sure sure it would resolve itself. Later tonight the fuel gauge intermittently started to fail with an error message on the dash display saying Fuel Sensor Failure. I called the dealership where I bought the truck a week ago. They told me to bring it in tomorrow. I am just concerned that they will get shady with me on the repair. As far as I am concerned, although its used, I only bought it a week ago. I am hoping they do the right thing and take care of this without any cost to me.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
It's a common and well known issue with the rams. Do a search on it and you'll find how common it is on here and other ram forums. I had mine fail at about 17k miles. Being under warranty it was fixed free of charge. I drove it a half mile from the dealership and the new one failed. It was replaced and has lasted for about 45k miles so far. With a full tank they're going to have fun trying to replace it. They have to drop the fuel tank to do it.

Reactions: Eagle Rider

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ah but you see they dont. LOL when I first started in our Dodge dealership, I was given a Dakota with a bad sender. I fussed and raised cane and dropped the tank. Of course they seldome dies with 1/4 tank or less. I get tank down and on stand changing part. Tech next to me says, huh we usually just pick the bed up, like 6 bolts and lift off with rack.Argh was I pissed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah does the gas gauge work?
intermittently. I spoke to the dealership service writer about two hours ago, he said the mechanic tesetd it and has a low voltage signal. I was like yeah, its an electrical signal issue in the sensor, so why not jump to the end of the process and just replace the part that needs replacing???? I'm guessing to get that far they had to lower the tank or lift the bed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
friday night the dealership shop had called me to pick it up. They replaced the sensor. Hopefully that is the last of it.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Did the dealer take care of it for you or was there a charge to you?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
No charge. Covered / Implied Warranty on used cars for 60 days. At least that is one good thing NYS does!
Hello Eagle Rider,
If you are in need of any additional assistance once you have your vehicle back, please do not hesitate to send us a private message. We’re always happy to help.
Laura
RamCares

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Hello Eagle Rider,
If you are in need of any additional assistance once you have your vehicle back, please do not hesitate to send us a private message. We’re always happy to help.
Laura
RamCares
The fuel sensor has been a known problem since 2012. Does ram have any plans to correct the problem or just continue to ignore it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ah does the gas gauge work?
Found something about this on this site, it seems to happen it the same spot your fuel gauge is at every time, it’s a faulty design, I ignore mine when my fuel gauge reaches just below half engine light comes on, I pay attention to how many more miles I drive about 70-100 turn my truck off wait a bit start it fuel gauge working now and engine light gone, or I just fill it up also solves problem.
It’s the gauge in the tank just below 1/2 tank always happens , save my money because dodge aparantly doesn’t care to back their products, probably buy gmc or ford next.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Found something about this on this site, it seems to happen it the same spot your fuel gauge is at every time, it’s a faulty design, I ignore mine when my fuel gauge reaches just below half engine light comes on, I pay attention to how many more miles I drive about 70-100 turn my truck off wait a bit start it fuel gauge working now and engine light gone, or I just fill it up also solves problem.
It’s the gauge in the tank just below 1/2 tank always happens , save my money because dodge aparantly doesn’t care to back their products, probably buy gmc or ford next.
It will fail completely. As far as my research shows, they all do eventually. I would guess that this fuel pump is not made by Fiat but probably an OEM supplier for many different manufacturers. It could very well be this is a problem for other makes as well, but I agree, FCA should be looking at this and doing something about it since it is an obvious issue across multiple years of vehicles.

FYI, I replaced mine at 52K miles myself in about 5 hours with 1/2 tank of gas in a 32 gallon tank. It was not a super easy job but not that hard either. However, I bought the new pump from Rock Auto, it was their best unit and the sending unit design is a bit different from the OEM pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts