DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I seem to be having a problem with fuel getting to my engine. I'm wanting to check out the fuel filter first, the only problem is the fuel filter for a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8 is built into a module sitting inside my gas tank. It seems to be a pain in the ass to replace a filter and everything in the module for damn close to 300 dollars. So I figured maybe I could bore out the fuel filter or just bypass it,cut the fuel line and put an inline fuel filter somewhere on the chassis, would fix my problem and if i ever had to replace it again I could very easily, just wondering what was anybody's thought on the subject or if you've had any experience with customizing a fuel filter set up.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
If you have a fuel pressure/volume test performed, it will tell you if you need to go into the tank or not.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
It's not really a fuel filter . It's more less a strainer . The only time they should be replaced is when replacing the fuel pump . They don't get clogged up like everybody thinks they do .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not really a fuel filter . It's more less a strainer . The only time they should be replaced is when replacing the fuel pump . They don't get clogged up like everybody thinks they do .
Yeah, I've replaced fuel filters on a few vehicles, some vehicles have a fuel sock instead of a filter or in conjuction with it, they do get clogged up from fuel being pressed against that screen, sediment fills on the center of the screen and from there things just get worse... and with the rising gas prices I can only imagine how horrible the quality of fuel will be, really dirty gas....

Thanks for ya'lls input, much appreciated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts