DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
The Problem With Ethanol
‘Miracle Fuel’ Blend Retains Water, Dissolves Plastic Fuel Lines, Gums Carburetors & blocks filters at gas stations

Ethanol can dissolve some solid materials," says a June 2006 Yamaha advisory to dealers. That includes varnish and rust on steel and corrosion on aluminum tanks. The result is contaminated fuel.

ETHANOL DOS AND DON'TS
• Replace pre-1985 fiberglass tanks.
• Replace fuel lines, o-rings and gaskets that aren't built for ethanol.
• Inspect hose clamps and metal fittings in the fuel system for corrosion.
• Refill the fuel tank often to reduce airspace in the tank, which reduces water condensation.
• Install a fuel line water separator to eliminate water that collects in the tank.
• Use fuel additives to stop fuel from aging and oxidizing.
• Use de-emulsifying or hydrophobic additives to prevent water from homogenizing with fuel.
Never use a fuel additive that emulsifies water.
Never buy fuel that isn't clear and bright.
Do not use E10 contaminated with water without a combustion-enhancing additive.
Do not leave a near-empty fuel tank sitting for long periods of time.
http://www2.highlandstoday.com/news/highlands-news/2008/jun/22/problem-ethanol-ar-311037/

I have not been keeping my Harley gas tanks filled, looks like i will be from now on
I bought a new carburetor a year ago, it is leaking like a sieve, time to ride it more, after the fuel shut off valve is replaced, it was replaced at the same time as the carburetor & it is junk now

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.