DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to read task garage door opener buttons to something more useful when one does not have a garage to put the truck in?

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I have 2 of my buttons hooked to lights o my truck. Instead of running a switch into the truck and having to mount it I run the lights to a wireless receiver mounted in the engine bay. I can then use either the key fob that came with the receiver to tuen then on/off or the homelink buttons that I programmed to use them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have 2 of my buttons hooked to lights o my truck. Instead of running a switch into the truck and having to mount it I run the lights to a wireless receiver mounted in the engine bay. I can then use either the key fob that came with the receiver to tuen then on/off or the homelink buttons that I programmed to use them.
I did the same, including the wireless receiver. I use one button to cut off ECS & TCS. Works great!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can anybody do a write-up on this?

Want to see if I can wire it to turn on my radar detector. Perhaps in the future I would wire the others to operate a light bar or something.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can anyone at least provide a part number to the receiver(s) used? I do not use those buttons either since I park out under the carport, but I could sure find some other uses for them!

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is the one I used:
https://www.amazon.com/AGT-Waterproof-Wireless-Universal-2-Channel/dp/B0068D0OBI

You could run two devices off this controller and program them to your Home Link buttons. Been on my truck since 2016 and never had a problem.
So you simply wired the device to your battery and to whatever accessory you wanted to power, and then instead of using the remotes you used the factory garage door openers?

Im assuming that 1 push of the factory garage door opener button turns the accessory on, and then a subsequent push turns the accessory off?

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
So you simply wired the device to your battery and to whatever accessory you wanted to power, and then instead of using the remotes you used the factory garage door openers?
Yes, basically that is how it works. If it helps, I've attached my wire diagram that turns Fuse 25 on & off. Just substitute the "existing OEM 12v" box with your device or lights. Also, you would want to wire the relay as "normally open" for driving lights, etc.

[/url][/IMG]

Im assuming that 1 push of the factory garage door opener button turns the accessory on, and then a subsequent push turns the accessory off?
Yes, you assume correctly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Why did you use a relay?

I was planning on installing an in-line fuse after I wired the hot wire to a positive pole on the fuse box and then directly into the unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Why did you use a relay?!
The AGT controller is only rated up to 5amps. I was dealing with the truck's F26 fuse controlling the ECS, TCS & ABS systems. I did not want to take any chances of blowing the wireless controller rendering those systems useless and leave me stranded. Thus the 40amp relay

·
Registered
54 Posts
if there was an inline fuse rated for anythingg under 40 amps, shouldn't that accomplish the same goal?

·
Registered
498 Posts
if there was an inline fuse rated for anythingg under 40 amps, shouldn't that accomplish the same goal?
You asked why I used a relay, I answered.

Regards your new question: I have no idea what you are doing, how you are wiring or what your "goal" might be. Sorry, I don't have an answer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No, I understand and appreciate your answer.

I was questioning the necessity for a relay, considering for my application of a radar detector, when it could simply be directly wired to the 12v power and use an in-line fuse as a preventative measure.

A relay (I've used them before once) seems overly complicated for an application that shouldn't require one.

Thats all im saying

Thank you

·
Registered
498 Posts
No, I understand and appreciate your answer.
I was questioning the necessity for a relay, considering for my application of a radar detector, when it could simply be directly wired to the 12v power and use an in-line fuse as a preventative measure.
A relay (I've used them before once) seems overly complicated for an application that shouldn't require one.
Thats all im saying
Thank you
Got it. Yes, you do not need a relay as Radar Detectors are very low amp draw.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Great! I was expecting a specialized costly Homelink receiver but in turn this is an inexpensive generic system that you just learn the codes from.
Thanks 'Goose!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts