DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea what makes this light come on? i thought there was some sort of pressure sensor or something like that...

mine is on, and I have checked, rechecked, tightened AND removed and put back on the gas cap, THEN filled the tank and put the cap back on, but the light will not go out...

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
mine did the same, i've removed and put back on the gas cap, the light stayed on but after a while it went away

·
Registered
142 Posts
It takes a while for the system to retest itself. You could use a scantool to clear the code (if it has one, would likely be described as a very small evap leak) and it should turn off the light. Otherwise, you will have to wait. Make sure that you inspect the O-ring on the gas cap and make sure that it doesn't have any tears in it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If it really bugs you and you're still under warranty you can go to the dealer and have it reset with their scan tool. Otherwise, like mentioned above, the system will reset itself with 4-5 successful starts (coupled with runs of 5-10 min., I believe).

·
Banned
56,675 Posts
You didn't get the gas cap on right so it triggers the sensor. I have done that a few times. You just need to re-screw that cap back on and it will go out. For the Nitro it is 3 clicks.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,095 Posts
Yep, after a few key cycles, the light should go off and as suggested, I'd check your gas cap and make sure it seals. I've also heard filling up with the engine running will also cause the same code.

- Cajun

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
:iagree: with all of the above.
It takes a few start/run cycles (normal driving) for the system to be satisfied that the problem has been fixed. :)

If the problem does NOT go away, then there may be an issue with the upper vent hose on the filler pipe. This is NOT very common, but is a condition that would simulate a loose gas cap.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome thanks guys. ill be headed out soon to grab a coffee before i plant myself in front of the tv for football...ill let you know if it goes out.

i did check the seal around the cap and even wiped inside the filler spout. it was kinda grungy...prolly my rustproofing over spray...but ill report back if it goes away.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it has been a while now, and the light is still on...obviously a problem. ill be trying to take her in to the stealership this week...thank god i still have a warranty!!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
The light is triggered by lack of pressure built up once the pump is activated, if the pressure it low or struggling it will pop a light.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well the gas light is out. it actually triggered the engine light yesterday as well so i took it to the dealer. apparently the there was a vacuum line off at the gas tank. the dealer was surprised that the engine light didnt come on when i first got the truck because in their opinion, it looked like the line had never been properly attached when it was manufactured?

oh well.

both lights gone now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 09 has done this a few times. It will go away. Not sure what causes it, but don't waste money on a gas cap. That's not it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same issue. It has been to the dealership twice, had smoke tests, codes checked and cleared, and both times as soon as I get it home, shut it off, and come back to drive it later...bammm...gas cap light and engine light come on. According to the dealership they have to get "Chrysler" involved because they can't find anything wrong with it.

P.S. if anyone has any ideals....pppllleeeaassseee share. getting frustrating having to leave it at the dealership a week at a time (or longer ) :/

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here's another one. Last January I filled the tank, left the gas cap off (don't ask) and drove till I needed gas. When I got out I noticed the cap dangling. Flap was closed. No lights or codes.

Go figure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine was the cap. OE cap never felt right to me, but lasted 4 years until light came on and would not go off after re-sealing the cap. Replaced cap and no more problem. New cap seems to fit better and 'click' better also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
its the charcoal canister, or the hoses that connect to it. I had the same problem. I took it to the dealership 3 times for a cost of over $700 dollars and all they replaced was the gas cap (must be made of gold lol) but it still happed so I called up and ripped them a new one and they changed the canister and it hasn't happened since.
As a side note the dealership said they even did the smoke test and couldn't find the problem before I made them change the canister (which would have been done under warranty) probably just trying to make me pay for the warranty work lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts