DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my factory fuel pump went out on my 2010 1500 slt 5.7 hemi. I purschased a new one from o Reilly and just finished installing it. Primed it a few times then cranked it. Started up right away. Only problem is my gas guage is reading “empty” and my “ check engine” light is on. I went ahead and removed the fuel pump again to see if maybe the float was stuck ,but nope, it was fine. Re-did the connections and went to prime again. While doing the first prime I noticed the gauge shot up to where it left off last time it was working properly then went back to empty and check engine light and low fuel warning popped up again ......

Any suggestions ???
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have an update. Took the truck out to get more gas and run it a bit. Well the gauge registered a couple of minutes after I left the gas station. Then it went back to empty. Did this cycle for the rest of the trip. Oreilly guy tells me I prolly need to buy the more expensive pump because it’s more oem . I bought the cheapest one due to expense but I’ll get the other one soon. I hope this fixes it.

Any one else have this happen due to a cheaper pump?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I know the sending unit is in the pump so that very well may be the issue. A lot of the newer (like 2016+) trucks have been issues with the sending units going out too though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts