DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ram owners, I'm in the process of purchasing my first 2500 tradesmen 6.4 hemi if someone could shine a little light on a few things for me? what can I expect mpg wise for normal every day driving & how critical is the grade of gas ⛽ the specs call for premium?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The manual calls for 89 but 87 is also acceptable. As for MPG, just remember the 2500 is heavier than the 1500 so the MPGs will never be the same. You'd probably get about 14-15 realistically, depending on your terrain and highway vs city driving. If you live in an area with a lot of hills, the 4:10 rear can be a good option to consider.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
WOW I'm surprised they call for premium. What octane rating? 94? It should run fine on lower grade, but you may not get the performance out of it. The ECM will adjust timing and fuel for conditions. But you probably will not get the correct emissions out put, power and maybe fuel mileage. Although I dont think it will be terribly lower. If worried you might try 1/2 tank of premium and half regular. My Victory calls for like 92 mid grade and I run it most time on regular.
I have a 2012 2500 4wd with the 5.7 and get about 15-16 highway and 12.5 around town.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It does not call for premium.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Here in Colorado, regular gas is 85 octane. Our 3500 with the 6.4 runs just fine on that. When we go on road trips, regular is usually 87 octane, and it runs great on that too.

I've run mid grade for a few tankfuls, and even premium for a couple, just to see. I don't think it made any really noticeable difference in power, at least not the way I drive, and if there was any advantage in fuel consumption is sure wasn't enough to justify the price difference.

Unladen, just poking along county roads at about 55-60 mph, the truck gets a right at 16.5 mpg. On freeways at 75 mph that drops to 15. Don't do hardly any stop-and-go city driving at all, so never checked that. I imagine it would be around 12 or so, but I don't know for sure. Fully laden on the highway, with extra wind resistance from our in-bed camper, I get about 10 mpg.
Those are hand calculated numbers, not the EVIC display, which tends to register about 10% better mileage than what actually happens.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Gone cross country pulling a 12,000# fifth wheel. It likes 87. MPG and power fell drastically when I accidentally put 85 in it.

I get 14-15 MPG unloaded highway. I get 7.5 to 8 pulling the camper.

6.4L, 4.10 gears, 2016 2500

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The manual calls for 89 but 87 is also acceptable. As for MPG, just remember the 2500 is heavier than the 1500 so the MPGs will never be the same. You'd probably get about 14-15 realistically, depending on your terrain and highway vs city driving. If you live in an area with a lot of hills, the 4:10 rear can be a good option to consider.
Thanks for the info very helpful !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here in Colorado, regular gas is 85 octane. Our 3500 with the 6.4 runs just fine on that. When we go on road trips, regular is usually 87 octane, and it runs great on that too.

I've run mid grade for a few tankfuls, and even premium for a couple, just to see. I don't think it made any really noticeable difference in power, at least not the way I drive, and if there was any advantage in fuel consumption is sure wasn't enough to justify the price difference.

Unladen, just poking along county roads at about 55-60 mph, the truck gets a right at 16.5 mpg. On freeways at 75 mph that drops to 15. Don't do hardly any stop-and-go city driving at all, so never checked that. I imagine it would be around 12 or so, but I don't know for sure. Fully laden on the highway, with extra wind resistance from our in-bed camper, I get about 10 mpg.
Those are hand calculated numbers, not the EVIC display, which tends to register about 10% better mileage than what actually happens.
That's good info on gas grade ..not bad mpg for heavy duty truck was just curious on it ..my current truck is 2013 silverado 1500 6" w/35's getting average of 12.3 just got home from a 3hr. Round trip @ 65-70 mph. Pulling a 6x12 atv trailer with 1 machine on it and some gear in truck bed was getting 9-10 mpg.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 Limited Mega Cab 4x4 in Patriot Blue 6.4 Hemi
9 Posts
That's good info on gas grade ..not bad mpg for heavy duty truck was just curious on it ..my current truck is 2013 silverado 1500 6" w/35's getting average of 12.3 just got home from a 3hr. Round trip @ 65-70 mph. Pulling a 6x12 atv trailer with 1 machine on it and some gear in truck bed was getting 9-10 mpg.

I have a 2019 Limited Mega with the 6.4, in town I get about 11 mpg. On the road without a load at 70 mph I get close to 17, with my 36' travel trailer at 65 I get about 10. I keep 87 octane in it normally, throw in a tank of premium occasionally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello ram owners, I'm in the process of purchasing my first 2500 tradesmen 6.4 hemi if someone could shine a little light on a few things for me? what can I expect mpg wise for normal every day driving & how critical is the grade of gas ⛽ the specs call for premium?
I bought a 2500 Tradesman 6.4L in 2015. I use mid grade unless pulling my fifth wheel. No issues at all. In mixed town and rural I average 14.2. Straight highway at 70 mph I get 17.4.
City start and stop I get 12.2. I drive real easy on the pedal. If you get aggressive the the city mileage can drop to 11 in a hurry. Mixed driving drops to 12.5 if you’re not careful with the pedal. Pulling the 8400# fifth wheel in East Tennessee I get about 9.8 average. Highway about 11. I have six speed auto and R275/18 Michelin tires.

·
Registered
43 Posts

2018 CC 4x4 6.4 2500. I get around 17mpg hwy on flat road with cruise on at 65 mph. City driving around 14mpg. Hauling my 2500lb truck camper drops those numbers down to 14 and 11. Never has had anything but 87 and runs like a champ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run 87 in my 2016 Ram 2500 6.4. I get 16.5 to 17.5 MPG empty. Pulling a 30 foot gooseneck with 18 rolls of hay about 11 MPG. Pulling a 16 foot all steel cattle trailer loaded about 13 MPG.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Be careful of the sources. The mileage I reported was hand calculated. The EVIC typically read 1 MPG higher

·
Registered
372 Posts
EVIC only takes into account the last xxx miles so on longer trips through the mountains the mpg would drop a lot but if you have a flat long road home after that it would show real good number by the time you get home, which for the total trip could be ways off.

·
Registered
792 Posts

My truck mirrors your statements on power and mileage. I have also run mid and upper grades and found no difference in power or mpg even while towing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
EVIC only takes into account the last xxx miles so on longer trips through the mountains the mpg would drop a lot but if you have a flat long road home after that it would show real good number by the time you get home, which for the total trip could be ways off.
I have a '16 2500 and it does not do this. If I tow the trailer for the first 1/2 tank and get about 8 MPG and then ride around without the trailer ( where I should be getting 14-15 MPG ) the EVIC never goes above 10.5 MPG. If it does as you say, it should report at least 14 MPG.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a '16 2500 and it does not do this. If I tow the trailer for the first 1/2 tank and get about 8 MPG and then ride around without the trailer ( where I should be getting 14-15 MPG ) the EVIC never goes above 10.5 MPG. If it does as you say, it should report at least 14 MPG.
Yes they all do that over what number of miles I don't know though but I'm sure it varies from one manufacturer to the other. My GM3500 had an option to set it averaging for the last 50kms, 100kms and something else I don't remember.
If they didn't do that as you said, then a truck with hundred of thousand of miles will hardly ever change the EVIC number unless it is reset.
I went to BC from AB this past summer, in BC Rockies driving faster my mpgs were as low as 10 and under and on AB flat highways driving slower I stayed in 24-25 range. Returning home I've had roughly 250 miles of flat highway and my EVIC number went up from about 15 (once through Rockies) up to 23 by the time I got home. Hand calculated for a whole trip got me 16mpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts