DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to a gauge/tuner for my 2001 ram 2500 any suggestions? ive been lookking at the bullydog triple dog or the banks power big hoss. Not sure on this sort of thing so help would be greatly appreciated. another side question is if i do add this torque to my truck would i need to upgrade my transmission after it goes out in the next time to be able to handle the addition?

·
Registered
47 Posts
You need to have a fuel pressure gauge first before any chips or prgrammers if you are running the stock lift pump you will need to upgade it to a Rapter, FASS, or Air Dog 95 or 100 GPH your choice. If you have a Automatic transmission the Banks has safety limits built into the Big Hoss tuner that will defuel so you don't burn-up your transmission but the best bag for the buck is Diablo sport power puck its about 50 hp & won't destroy your transmission and you will feel the extra 50HP its about 170.00 bucks and you can stack a Smarty with it if you get the Horsepower bug later. If you decide to go with a Edge Comp or Quadzilla Adrenaline you will need at very least A single disk billet tourque convertor & a upgraded valve body.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that an aftermarket lift pump is the first step. I installed a 950 GPH FASS and I've been happy with it.

I went a little pricier on the programmer: Edge Juice with Attitude with optional Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) probe. This computer has 5 (6 if you pay extra) power settings and you can change them while you drive. The lowest setting addes about 40 HP and improves mileage about 10%. The two lowest settings are recommended for towing. The third settings is recommended for "sporty" driving. The higher power settings are NOT recommended unless you upgrade the transmission, torque converter, etc.

A key feature of this computer is the ability to monitor EGT and cut back the power if the EGT gets too high. This is a pretty important issue. Even with the stock setting, the EGT gets borderline too high when towing my trailer up a hill with wide open throttle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts