DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So very odd one today. As with most of my problems, this morning I command started my truck and when it turned on I ignored it for quite a while. It was -21C this morning. Later I went outside to go to work and hit the command start again (probably half hour after it was running). She did not start. I opened the door, hopped in and the truck was stone cold. So I put the key in, and it fired right up. Now very odd, all the gauges were at 0.00 … no RPM (truck was running at this point), no fuel, no oil pressure … BUT the battery gauge read between half and a quarter... The serv 4wd light was on, but it kept flipping to ESP/BAS, the P,N,D +/- were light up green, the R was lit up red, the service engine light, the seatbelt light, brake system warning light, abs fault light were all on … The center did read direction, but the outside temperature was displayed as -- instead of the actual temperature.

As smart as I am I decided fuck it, lets go for a bit of a drive and see what happens. I was rather expecting the speedo to work, but surprise surprise it did not. Also when putting it in gear the gear lights did not change colour or illumination at all.

Now interesting bit of extra information, I figured I would drive it to the dealership and see what they said. On the way, I decided I would try to roll down the window … No go. None of the windows rolled down. The fan function still worked as there was air blowing and accurate from the high/low settings.

When I got to the dealership, they saw what it was doing, turned it off and on a few times, unhooked the battery and hooked it back up and still did it. … So then they pulled it around back and by the time the guys in the back got to looking at it, the truck was fine and they couldn't find anything. Not one single code was stored. They parked it out side and let it sit for a few hours, still could not recreate it, pulled it inside where it was warm and still all good … So they have zero ideas what it could be. Truck seems fine, but I go with the theory that if it happens once, it will probably happen again and I would very much not like to go through this on the highway outside the city.

The truck is a 2010 ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 167,000km, column shift, 4x4, crew cab short box if any of that makes any difference.

Sooo … Help? Any thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? I plan on tinkering and trying to recreate the issue and fixing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

So very odd one today. As with most of my problems, this morning I command started my truck and when it turned on I ignored it for quite a while. It was -21C this morning. Later I went outside to go to work and hit the command start again (probably half hour after it was running). She did not start. I opened the door, hopped in and the truck was stone cold. So I put the key in, and it fired right up. Now very odd, all the gauges were at 0.00 … no RPM (truck was running at this point), no fuel, no oil pressure … BUT the battery gauge read between half and a quarter... The serv 4wd light was on, but it kept flipping to ESP/BAS, the P,N,D +/- were light up green, the R was lit up red, the service engine light, the seatbelt light, brake system warning light, abs fault light were all on … The center did read direction, but the outside temperature was displayed as -- instead of the actual temperature.

As smart as I am I decided fuck it, lets go for a bit of a drive and see what happens. I was rather expecting the speedo to work, but surprise surprise it did not. Also when putting it in gear the gear lights did not change colour or illumination at all.

Now interesting bit of extra information, I figured I would drive it to the dealership and see what they said. On the way, I decided I would try to roll down the window … No go. None of the windows rolled down. The fan function still worked as there was air blowing and accurate from the high/low settings.

When I got to the dealership, they saw what it was doing, turned it off and on a few times, unhooked the battery and hooked it back up and still did it. … So then they pulled it around back and by the time the guys in the back got to looking at it, the truck was fine and they couldn't find anything. Not one single code was stored. They parked it out side and let it sit for a few hours, still could not recreate it, pulled it inside where it was warm and still all good … So they have zero ideas what it could be. Truck seems fine, but I go with the theory that if it happens once, it will probably happen again and I would very much not like to go through this on the highway outside the city.

The truck is a 2010 ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 167,000km, column shift, 4x4, crew cab short box if any of that makes any difference.

Sooo … Help? Any thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? I plan on tinkering and trying to recreate the issue and fixing
If you figure it out let me know, my instrument cluster occasionally goes crazy. All or most of the lights go crazy sometimes. The wipers will come on, radio will cut off, windows won't work, heat/ac wont work, speedometer, gas gauge. Are you having the same issue. I've replaced the tipm, no bruno. Didnt help. Oh, and I have a 2010 dodge ram as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you figure it out let me know, my instrument cluster occasionally goes crazy. All or most of the lights go crazy sometimes. The wipers will come on, radio will cut off, windows won't work, heat/ac wont work, speedometer, gas gauge. Are you having the same issue. I've replaced the tipm, no bruno. Didnt help. Oh, and I have a 2010 dodge ram as well.
Haven’t figured it out yet ... it’s the weirdest thing and the dealership swears there is nothing wrong with the truck even though they have seen it firsthand ... when I pulled in the service advisor saw it doing that; but when the tech got to it it worked fine ... not a single code thrown or stored ... I have zero ideas what it could be

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haven’t figured it out yet ... it’s the weirdest thing and the dealership swears there is nothing wrong with the truck even though they have seen it firsthand ... when I pulled in the service advisor saw it doing that; but when the tech got to it it worked fine ... not a single code thrown or stored ... I have zero ideas what it could be
I did some searching on the internet and I found on YouTube where people had similar issues. Looks like it may be a bad wire somewhere. 1 person said it ended up being a wire from an aftermarket radio that was put in. I don't have an aftermarket radio but do have an aftermarket backup camera that didn't work since I had the truck. On my next day off I'm going to pull out my radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did some searching on the internet and I found on YouTube where people had similar issues. Looks like it may be a bad wire somewhere. 1 person said it ended up being a wire from an aftermarket radio that was put in. I don't have an aftermarket radio but do have an aftermarket backup camera that didn't work since I had the truck. On my next day off I'm going to pull out my radio.
There was another person that had the same issue, but the back passenger door lock wouldn't unlock automatically, the wiring was frayed, he fixed that and he didnt seem to have anymore instrument cluster likes going off anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts