DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are a lot of existing threads on lighting on this site, but I'm hoping someone can help me with some quick advice.

I'm looking to replace the headlight bulbs tomorrow, and I would like to get the brightest bulbs possible without going HID.

The sylvania Silver Star ultras look nice, but I read review after review about them burning out quick and being more of a "blue light" than an actually brighter light.

It seems the more reliable and equally bright option is the GE Nighthawk Platinum. The consensus on these seems to be that they may not have quite the "cool" blue tint (which I must admit looks cool to me) but that they are very bright and last.

Does anyone have any feedback for me on these Nighthawk Platinums?

:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have nothing but good experience with the Silver Star Ultras. I never had one burn out and I leave them on day or night. Maybe I just got lucky with good bulbs but so far so good.

My friend decided to try the Nighthawks instead and regretted it. They lasted 3 months.

That's my experience, I hope it helps.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have nothing but good experience with the Silver Star Ultras. I never had one burn out and I leave them on day or night. Maybe I just got lucky with good bulbs but so far so good.

My friend decided to try the Nighthawks instead and regretted it. They lasted 3 months.

That's my experience, I hope it helps.
Lol.. Thanks for throwing a wrench into my plans!! Interesting to hear your experience is the opposite of what I read. It seems to me that the silver stars put out a whiter light, but I was put off by some comments about the life if them.

What's your overall impression of the Brightness of yours versus the stock bulbs? Noticeably brighter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lol.. Thanks for throwing a wrench into my plans!! Interesting to hear your experience is the opposite of what I read. It seems to me that the silver stars put out a whiter light, but I was put off by some comments about the life if them.

What's your overall impression of the Brightness of yours versus the stock bulbs? Noticeably brighter?
Yes, the Silver Stars are much brighter than the stock bulbs. I got at least 50 more feet of visibility and it was much whiter.

I just traded my truck on a new one and the bulbs in the old truck were still good after 2 years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Phillips x-treme 80% more. idk if its really 80 % more but its very bright light. and phillips bulbs last yrs and are only $30 or so

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I have read up on silverstars and ge's a ton on different forums (found by googling) and the reviews on the GE night hawk headlights were far worse than the silverstars, same stuff you mentioned. I have the silverstar zxe's and am happy so far, deffinetly brighter than what I had ( but i had 8 year old tires bulbs) not sure what the 4th gen lights are actually like.... the zxe's deffinetly helped me out...... I have read that PIAA's bulbs are even brighter, but I have no experience with them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts