DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there, really hoping for some insight here. My 06’ 5.7L ram does not want to engage out of Park. The selector cycles through as normal, but the engine will just rev with zero resistance. I played with it gently with reving and switching gears and there isn’t even a hint of the transmission catching or attempting to release. The selector will only move when brakes applied as normal. Vehicle does have 250k, fuel pump went not long ago. Other than that and the starter it’s been running smooth. No hard shifts, gentle transfer from R to D.. no prior signs of the transmission struggling.

Quick background, I was in the bush gathering firewood and my starter croaked. I bought a new battery and starter and installed in the bush. I live in GP AB so you can imagine the snow and cold pissing you off let alone twigs and branches so on.. anyway, I got the old starter out with no issues. When replacing there was a cable which I believe connects the linkage to the transmission runs right in that path way. It got in the way and I did kind of jerk it over, not really hard but definitely with a sense of annoyance. Continued install and truck turned over like a beaut, but then this problem arises. I briefly looked at said cable and seen there is a black connection against the transmission that is almost like a electrical plug.. from there I was fed up and figured I’d do some research but haven’t had much luck. Does this sound like a simple linkage issue or is it possible my transmission is fried?

Note: The truck is 20mins out of town so it’s a commute back and fourth which adds to my frustration. As well as I know I’m a idiot for jerking the cable in the first place and ready to accept I screwed it up. Just hope it’s that and not a full on transmission issue.

I appreciate any insight..

Thanks

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I’m thinking it may be a cable issue after your rough handling of it. Can you get someone to tow your truck home?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m thinking it may be a cable issue after your rough handling of it. Can you get someone to tow your truck home?
Thank you for the reply. Where it’s at is a bit of a tricky tow and it’s been a couple days now with of course a crap ton of snow so it would be a CAT retrieval at this point lol with the way the snow drifts. I did follow the cable to the fire wall and it is fairly loose at the grommet with play. I kind of figured it should have much play at all.. should it?

I’m prepared to remove the paneling around the steering wheel and the column covers hoping that’s all I’ll need to do to access the linkage..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was at it again today. Cable is fine. I switched the gears manually on the lever connected to transmission. Hopped in the cab and it was in the gear I moved it to. Switched to park and went back underneath, the lever was back in the original position... fml.. now i can only think of it being a bad clutch or tranny in general is shot.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Maybe it’s at where the connection inside the tranny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts