DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13,692 Posts
I'd personally go with the 4.10's. Even with the 4.7L I will most likely go to 4.10, if I had the hemi with the extra numbers I'd definitely choose 4.10.

I'd choose the gear that will get you what you want on the street, then adjust your slicks to meet the final ratio you want. You don't want to set it up for the track then have it not as driveable on the street as you'd like. Like you said, you can adjust tire size easily, but I'd adjust it on the track.

Realistically, even with 4.56 it wouldn't be that bad on the street though.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
^I understand, but you will end up with the same final ratio either way by adjusting tire size, so it really doesn't matter which you choose. Just that with 4.56 it'll be slightly worse on the highway. I understand you don't care about that, but there's no downside to the 4.10's, so I don't know why you'd not go with them.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
You could even run like a 26" diameter slick and end up with the same final ratio as running 4.56's with your street tires. My point is it really doesn't matter for the track, you can adjust your slicks to meet the final ratio that you want, it's on the street where you don't want to run tiny or huge tires that you should gear it to what you want. That's my opinion anyway. Final ratio is what really matters. If you run 26" slicks with 3.55's vs. 32" tires with 4.10's, the 3.55 setup is "better" for the track probably, so it just sort of depends on the entire setup

Either are fine for the track, even 3.92 or 3.55 are fine for the track, you can achieve the same final ratio with tire size.

It sounds like you have talked yourself into 4.56 though.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Final ratio will be the same either way, but choose whatever you want, you asked so I'm just giving advice. If there's no difference on the track, then why would you purposely choose the option that is less streetable?

That's what's :doh:

Actually, the setup with smaller tires will be faster because the tires will be smaller which means they are lighter.

The 4.10's with the smaller tires to give the same final ratio that you would go with by having 4.56's will be better performing when run side by side. Also, 3.55's with tiny tires to give the same ratio as those above would be better performing again(as long as you can keep traction, but most likely it wouldn't be an issue with slicks, especially if you use 4wd).

I agree to go with the best option.

If you want to "upgrade" to hit a certain rpm at the gates without spending a lot of money then just change the tire size. You'd run faster with 3.55's and small tires.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
Don't worry, you still have one of the coolest rams around :)

So did you have 3.55 or 3.92 originally? You'd probably be better off with 4.10's or if you already have 3.92's laying around then just go with that...

· Registered
13,692 Posts
That is strange. A sluggish feeling due to a temperature drop should be more noticeable with higher gearing than lower gearing...or at least that makes sense to me.

· Registered
13,692 Posts
HP Tuners has been saying they will be releasing tuning for chrysler for years. I am becoming doubtful it will ever happen, however when I emailed them they said they are in fact still planning on releasing it.

I believe BRH will be using diablo/CMR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.