DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done accomplished a gear swap after installing a lift? I am currently getting 9-10 mpg!! Running 35's for the winter but plan to go 37's for the summer. The truck is a daily driver but the fuel consumption is killing me!! Any suggestions or thoughts for improvements are greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Not much you can really besides a cai and exhaust. Nothing for the 2011s is out yet.

I've never got that bad of mpg tho. Sounds kinda odd...

FYI I just dropped mine off at the shop today for Yukon 4.56s :woohoo:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey candy08, thanks for the reply. What made you decide to go 4.56? Is it availablity oris there other reasons? A guy from a local transmission shop here suggested 4.10's for me.
Wicked set up you have going on there with your truck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Has anybody done accomplished a gear swap after installing a lift? I am currently getting 9-10 mpg!! Running 35's for the winter but plan to go 37's for the summer. The truck is a daily driver but the fuel consumption is killing me!! Any suggestions or thoughts for improvements are greatly appreciated.
Are you leaving the truck idled for extented periods of time? I too am only getting 10-11 mpg with just a leveling kit and 35's. It could be the crappy winter gas we have in Canada as well. I have an intake and exhaust on my truck and have not noticed a difference with these mods. I'm not looking forward to when I toss a lift on and 37's

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah my mpg is worse in the winter here having to run 4x4 all the time. I get in the winter 12-14 but I have mountains that I have to drive over so that is the big reason there. I run 35" tires and I know it all depends on the gas you get the options you have on the truck and the gears you run.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Hey candy08, thanks for the reply. What made you decide to go 4.56? Is it availablity oris there other reasons? A guy from a local transmission shop here suggested 4.10's for me.
Wicked set up you have going on there with your truck
Thanks bud :D

I went 4.56 bc my next set of tires will be bigger. I went as lowas I could, wish I could do 4.88s. I should get it back by the weekend. As for gears no theres not any out. Btw I would only run Yukon like this guy is or Superior Gear.

The shop thats doing my install is doing a custom install with a tester Yukon locker and gears. Best part.....its all FREE :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Free is definitely nice. Good luck and please keep us posted. Me lift kit goes in at the end of the month. 37". I think that gears will be my next mod also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep us posted on how it works out there candy08, you lucky b*st*rd!!! Lol !! Good to hear from some canaian boys here too. My truck is being idled a bit but not too long, that I figure. When I had the leveling kit in, my mpg didn't decrease a whole lot. But since the lift, wow, I am not happy about it at all. And with no gearing option available yet, it is very frustrating.
Hey parts dude. I would strongly suggest you hold off on the lift install until the gearing and programmer are available. I'm only running 35's right now and only getting 300-340 km per tank, without driving it hard!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was recently told that Yukon 4.11 gears will work for my truck once I put 37s on it. I was also told once I put 35s on with a 3" leveling kit that I don't need to gear the truck cuz there isn't much lost to anything since the tires r only 1 1/2 inches bigger over all on each side. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
If youll need to gear swap is going to be 100% up to you. Some people dont mind it some people do.

AS far as the gear swap it isnt just cut and dry on the 2011s. Modding if the carrier is needed and cant just be done by any shop. PM candy08, he is the expert and has a bad ass shop that does the carrier modding for people making the gear swap a standard job ar your local rear end place

·
Registered
690 Posts
As far as changing the gears it is completely up to you. This is a handy site that will show you the effect of tire size on gear ratio.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpgear/gear_equation_effective_gear_ratio.php

Look up the stock tire diameter(hair under 33 but I don't remember exactly) and the new tire diameter and it will calculate the effect the tire size has on gear ratio. You can then play around with gear ratios to get the final ratio you want. If it helps here is an example of how big a factor it can be when I take my truck to the track for the first time with drag radials on it (275/40/17s) my effective gear ratio will change from the 3.55 stock to almost 4.56s. Good luck, but remember, since this is a daily driver those tires you mentioned are going to be HEAVY! Rotational mass is a killer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts