DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone regeared their 2014 1500? I bought my truck before doing my homework, come to find out I have the 3.21 gears. I'm looking to lift and run 37s so I definitely want to run 4.10. Has anyone done this? I've asked every shop in NC as well as searched all over the Internet and everyone says there's nothing that can be done for the newer model Rams. Anyone have insight on this? I'm really tempted to just run the 37s anyways since I do have the 8spd, but I'm still paranoid it will be too much for the transmission. Thoughts?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 8 speed with 3.21 will be sluggish, but fine. You may see more downshifting from 8th or 7th but should be fine.

I read on the forums that changing gears is quite expensive.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
You can at least do 3.92s, since that is also a factory diff option, but expect it to run around $3,000. IMHO 3.92 will be plenty low with the 4.71:1 1st gear in the 8 speed

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Keep in mind, if you have 4x4, you'll need the front diff also..
What he said. The front is not just change the gears. If it's not 4wd why put bigger tires on it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
3.92's will be good...I specifically got a truck with 3.92's because I knew I was going to lift it and I ended up putting 37x13.5x18's on and it runs fine. (well, im assuming since I dont have any issues that I notice...knock on wood).

I read somewhere on a forum that if you go above a certain ring and pinion size, might be above a 4.10, you will need to switch out your front differential to a 2012 model since our 2014's are a lot smaller. 4.56 or 4.88's physically dont fit into our front diffs. There are a couple people that have made the switch. Im sure you can find it in a forum somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
4.56s and 4.88s are just ridiculous to have on a 1/2 ton; 4.10s are pushing it with the 8 speed. The rear diffs are ZF 9.25s and the fronts are ZF 8.25s

·
Registered
249 Posts
4.56s and 4.88s are just ridiculous to have on a 1/2 ton; 4.10s are pushing it with the 8 speed. The rear diffs are ZF 9.25s and the fronts are ZF 8.25s
Maybe with this new gen Ram with the 8 spd, but I had 4.88's in my 06 F150 with 37's and they were necessary. 70mph was at 2100 rpm but with the 4spd tranny with the overdrive, the gear change was needed. It was a dog with the stock 3.73's. So I wouldnt group all 1/2 tons in that category but I can agree with you on this truck with the 8spd.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Maybe with this new gen Ram with the 8 spd, but I had 4.88's in my 06 F150 with 37's and they were necessary. 70mph was at 2100 rpm but with the 4spd tranny with the overdrive, the gear change was needed. It was a dog with the stock 3.73's. So I wouldnt group all 1/2 tons in that category but I can agree with you on this truck with the 8spd.
That the perfect example of apples and oranges! :smileup: you can't be bringing up your old found on road dead in here. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Manufacturers were still using 4 speeds in '06? It seems so primitive now:LOL:

7 years later and you could get a trans with 2x that many gears.

Dodgey did your Ford have the 5.4?

·
Registered
249 Posts
That the perfect example of apples and oranges! :smileup: you can't be bringing up your old found on road dead in here. :LOL:
Hahaha...yeah yeah yeah.....

Manufacturers were still using 4 speeds in '06? It seems so primitive now:LOL:

7 years later and you could get a trans with 2x that many gears.

Dodgey did your Ford have the 5.4?
Yeah they were and that is crazy to think about. Yes, it had the 5.4 Triton in it. The thing was I bought it with 70k miles and at 90k, I installed the lift and tires. When it came to 100k, I went through and did all the fluid maintenance and once I got to the tranny, I did a bunch of research and almost had a heart attack. There was no record of the tranny ever being touched and everyone said if it wasnt regularly maintained there was a high chance that if you have it flushed, it will crap out on you. So I did 3 or 4 pan drop/filter change and fluid fills and called it good. I never had any issues with the tranny but it was enough to make me pay the $2K and have it regeared to 4.88's. I could have went to 4.56's but I thought I might go bigger in the future (as the saying goes). There were about 4 or 5 other guys on the Ford forum that made the swap and convinced me for 4.88's.

The only thing is I kind of wish it was easier to regear for our trucks because I would love a Tru-Trac like I had in that Ford....I dont think it would be worth it money wise to have one put in now (if thats even an option) without tearing everything down.

Anyways, sorry for the novel...I tend to get carried away. Hahaha.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Yeah you can get an LSD in the Rams, but it is a clutch type, not a helical gear like a tru trac

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah you can get an LSD in the Rams, but it is a clutch type, not a helical gear like a tru trac
Ahh alright...I think I have the LSD, for some reason I thought the tru trac was a step above the LSD (more than just the clutch packs that can wear out in the LSD). Good to know.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Yeah they are both LSDs, just different types; both have their up and downsides. On a helical gear if you have a wheel with no traction then it will behave as an open diff because there is resistance for the gears t transfer over to the other axle shaft. This is easily remedies by applying slight brake pressure though which provides enough resistance for it to engage. A clutch LSD will engage in this situation because the slippage of one shaft will cause the clutches to engage the other axle shaft, but like you said the clutch packs can wear out.

There are also viscous fluid LSDs (which I don't think anyone uses for obvious reasons), and BLSD:smiledown: (brake limited slip differential) which is basically like traction control as it uses the brakes to prevent the wheels from free spinning. It will cause your brakes to wear more quickly and is not as robust as an actual LSD. My buddy has it in his Titan, which as you probably know, are not known for having quality diffs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts