DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 RC, base stereo, I replaced all 6 speakers
(OMG are the OE speakers crap..)

dash speakers were / are wired in parallel with the front doors.

OE speakers were all 8 ohm.
new Kicker 3.5"s are 3 ohm.

now it seems the dash speakers are WAY TOO LOUD and also very "bright" ..
also the door speakers don't seem to be contributing as they should.

I have the Treble turned down to -6 and the Bass boosted to +3, Fader 2 clicks to the Back..
and it's tolerable but still WAY TOO BRIGHT ..

can I simply wire a 5 ohm power resistor in series with the 3.5" dash speakers to bring them to 8 ohms and restore 'balance' to my system ?
or am I missing something ?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok I added a 4 ohm resistor (to each side),
also added a medium sized capacitor to serve as a bass-cut..

dash speakers are still too loud but not as bad, treble at -2 seemed about right.

I have ordered a pair of 6 ohm resistors ;
I will swap them in for the 4 ohm and report back ..

·
Registered
53 Posts
The dash and front doors are both wired in parallel to the front channels of the radio. They stuck 8ohms in the dash, and that balanced ot ok. But since they were 9 ohms, so any normal 4 ohm replacement is going to pull too much compared to the front doors. Fading to the back helps tone it down, but then you are limiting your front door speakers and messing up the sound stage.

If you have the higher, more directional frequencies up near your head, and the lower, less directional frequencies coming from the bottom of the doors, then when you close your eyes, it should sound like the sound is coming your ear level, not from your knees. The trick of it is to get it to sound up high, without it sounding like you are overdriving those little 3.5's and your doors are doing anything. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts