DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m pretty much due it’s been 5k miles, here’s just a question to get your guys intelligent opinion on....I’m going away for 2 weeks, get fresh oil before and let the car sit or does it matter, I’m leaning toward better for the car to have fresh oil when Immobile for an extended period time?

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I don't think that 2 weeks will matter
If you were going to be gone for months, that would be different

What does the Oil Life Monitor read ??

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah long term acid buildup is a concern, but 3 weeks is no issue

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that 2 weeks will matter
If you were going to be gone for months, that would be different

What does the Oil Life Monitor read ??
Thanks for the input guys it reads 33 percent but I’m with the majority here that tends to like it done earlier and not when the things down to like 3 percent. Currently 5,007 since last oil change

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my first diesel and from what I've read the manual says change oil every 15k miles, telltale says time to change or 6 months. Whichever comes first. Also says change just the oil at 7,500k miles. I've read on forums where people change every 5k. So which is it?

Also is it really worth sending the oil to be analyzed? If so to who and how do you send it?

TIA.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
This is my first diesel and from what I've read the manual says change oil every 15k miles, telltale says time to change or 6 months. Whichever comes first. Also says change just the oil at 7,500k miles. I've read on forums where people change every 5k. So which is it?

Also is it really worth sending the oil to be analyzed? If so to who and how do you send it?

TIA.
Sending it in for analysis is more for peace of mind.
Some people wanna know, i know i do, so i send my oil samples in once a year.

As for the oil change, just do with the 7,500k, you`ll be fine. I think the reason they put months in there too, is for the people that let their vehicle sit for days or months at a time. Acid`s (and moisture too) can build up within the oil over time, so changing it with using the 6 month time as a time frame, is more plausible due to vehicles sitting more than vehicles that are driven every day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts