DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y'all! I'm in the market for a new full size truck, and I have to say that the Dodge Ram has certainly caught my eye. I know this is a Dodge forum, and there may be a bit of bias, but I'm willing to try and ask anyway. So from the 09+Rams with the Hemi or 4.7 engine, how have they held up? I hear some people saying they are the worst, and others say they are the best. I have many friends with F-150s, and Silverado's and they seem to love their trucks. I wont even consider the Tundra due to my uncle bought one and at 15,000 the transmission locked up on the interstate. Probably just a fluke though. Anyway, I plan on keeping the truck for about 200,000 miles and I'm anal about vehicle maintenance. Everyone that I have talked to that has a Ram seems to have positive reviews about them. Have there been any common problems with this generation? Rams have the best look about them, I just want it to be able to last as long or longer then a comparable Ford or Chevy. In general, what are y'alls opinion of the longevity of the Ram vs the competition?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ram is just as reliable as any other truck. No one makes a bad vehicle right now, with the Ram you get more for your money. I grew up a die hard Ford fan, I am now on my second one. I sold my 1500 for a 2500.

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
I've had mine for 2+ years and have had no problems what so ever. The power, comfort and ride have far exceeded my expectations. That being said no matter what truck you end up with you can always have problems. Best of luck in your decision.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I had my 09 for 2 years and 30k miles. It had 70k when I sold it and bought my '11. The 09 had 40k on it when I bought it in '10.

In that time I had a tie-rod go out (warranty) and a Diff seal go bad. Pretty typical maintenance type stuff.

New truck hasnt had an issue yet in 10k miles I have put in it since I bought it august 4th. :)

·
Registered
938 Posts
The interior fit and finish is superior on the RAM, and the ride (w/ the 4 link coil spring rear suspension) is better. The warranty is better. As others have said, you get more "bang for the buck" compared to the others, not to mention it looks WAY better aesthetically (at least in my opinion). If you go RAM, definately go HEMI!...:smileup:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I agree that overall quality is probably very close. but the RAM fit and finish seems much better on the RAM and their warranty cant be beat

·
Registered
319 Posts
ive had several rams from 99-2012 and all of em have been awesome. 99 with 5.9l gas sold with 135,000 on her no problems ,03,04.5,05,06 5.9l diesels all with over 179,000 no problems other than typical ball joints and front end components. Have several friends with newer dodges and they have any where from 75-110,000 on em and very few issues. Now have a couple employees with ford f150 and both have had coil packs continuosly going out,exhaust leaksm and transmission problems. I currently have a 2012 2500 hemi and absolutly love it with no problems whatsoever. I also have a 99 f350 with a 5.4L and its got 225,000 on her and is a complete dog but runs fine just cant pull over 45mph cause the motor cant do it . With that beign said you are gonna hear good,bad,and worse from different people. From my experience i havent had many problems because i do regular maintainence and keep very good care of my trucks but i also pull heavy with em all the time and use em like a truck. If you take care of em and do the maintainence any truck is gonna be good to ya. Im a huge dodge fan and grew up chevy but dodge/ram has proved time and time again to me that its the vehicle selection for me. So i would recommend and only recommend the ram to people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts