DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you run for your TT. I just picked up a GeneracGP2200. Can't believe how quiet it is. 2200 start watts and 1700 run. Tried it out on my Dewalt 6gal 165# air compressor and my Craftsmen 12" chop saw and it didn't even flinch. Hope to get some good use from it when dry camping.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We have a Champion 2000 watt start/1700 watt run inverter (Model #73540i). Our camper has an 8K BTU wall-mount A/C and the Champion will run that fine. Will also run the microwave though obviously not concurrently. At 48lbs it's easy in and out of the truck bed. We mainly use it when traveling during the summer so we have A/C when overnighting at rest areas, etc. It's run great over the last 4 seasons and has been very reliable.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was looking at inverter/generators lately . I like the Generac equipment . I see a lot of the Firman brand . I have never heard of these before . Any comments ?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Generac that I bought was listed at $799.99 at Rona and when I got at the till it was $674.99 + tax due to there sales this week. A big welcomed surprise. Can't believe how quiet it is.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm running a Honda 3000 run quiet. Once the AC is running I can run everything in the trailer including the microwave. On trips that trap us inside due to rain it will run 18-20 hours in eco mode on a tank of fuel and 12-14 hours with the AC running. It is a very quiet unit.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm running a Honda 3000 run quiet. Once the AC is running I can run everything in the trailer including the microwave. On trips that trap us inside due to rain it will run 18-20 hours in eco mode on a tank of fuel and 12-14 hours with the AC running. It is a very quiet unit.
I have the smart tools 2000/1600. It wont run my 1000 watt microwave. Pure junk and only good for charging batteries. Don't buy one of these.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A good part of the reason I went with the Generac was half the price of the Honda and reviews were very good. One online comparison test actually showed the Generac quieter than the same size Honda when using the same load and a Decibel meter.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm sure Generac is a good generator. I purchased my Honda 9 years ago when there were only a couple options for run quiets. At the time Honda, Yamaha and a sub standard Hyundai were really the only run quiet options for gas generators. I definately wouldn't mine some cheaper options if I ever need a new generator in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Champion 3500 dual fuel. I purchased it because the Honda was more than I wanted to spend. I like the dual fuel option so I can run off propane or gas. Gas delivers more generator power, but, if not available, I've got a plan B. It is a little heavy, but I can lift it into and out of the basement in the 5th wheel and then roll it where I want it. I noticed that I can reduce the noise in the high RPM operation by simply deflecting the noise into the ground. I carry some thick cardboard sheets (3) and build a simple lean-to with the 3 sheets slanted towards the generator at the top. It really helps.
To start my A/C better, I put a hard start capacitor on it and now the 15K unit starts fine on the generator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a Honda EU2000i that I bought new more than six years ago... got a decent deal (i.e., free shipping) from Mayberry's. Prior to that (2004), I bought a Generac 7000-EXL (noisy, but powerful) to run some power tools and stuff. While the Generac has been reliable (it finally needed a new 12-V/18-aH battery last month), it is in a different class from the Honda stuff.

The Honda inverter generators, while carrying a higher price, are as bulletproof as can be, and are versatile. The 2000i has been absolutely great for camping, but if I want to run the A/C, I would need something a bit larger (i.e., >3000 watts) because of the startup load. If that becomes a concern, I will pick up a second one (EU2200i is the latest Honda of that size) and a parallel cable, providing a max of 4200 watts intermittent load capacity. Together, these would be smaller and easier to load/unload than a >3000-W unit.

Some of the RV dealers have been running (end of season) sales on generators... while at Wilkins RV (Bath, NY), I saw several of the B&S units displayed on sale.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My Honda 3000is is completely bulletproof over 9 years. Done a few oil changes and cleaned the plug. It is a bit on the heavier side, with Honda claiming a 131 lb dry weight but I can load and unload it by myself with a full fuel tank. But I wouldn't want to carry it more than 50ft.

On the other side my buddies champion 6000 is over 200lbs, loud as hell and needs a day of maintainence and running to make it reliable again after the winter. My Honda is turn the key and crack a beer...you're done.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I’ve run a champion 4000/3500 for about ten years and it’s run great. After sitting all winter all I have to do is turn on the choke; I give the row one pull and it starts right up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts