DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on the forums. I got a few updates! I installed MGP brake caliper covers because my painted calipers were chipping.

The UPS delivered my TYC electric fan (Mopar v6 knockoff) to replace my clutch fan.

And this morning I shipped off my 2011 PCM to be tuned by Dave at B&G. He's not the friendliest guy, and he seems extremely busy...so I sure hope he still does a good job of tuning it! :SHOCKED: I'm expecting the PCM to come back sometime early next week, and I'll probably have the fan in by then, and I'll be sure to give y'all an update with some more pictures!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please let me know how that tune works for you! I know I have see you with the same concerns that I have had about lack of low end after the ARH header install and I would really like to see how this helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How is he tuning the 2011?

·
Registered
219 Posts
tell us how the tune is!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just a word of advice on the TYC v6 fan. Id locktite the bolts that hold the fan motor to the housing. I had one that just went on me. 2 of the 3 bolts backed out making the fan motor off-center causing the fan to rub the housing and inturn causing the motor to burn up (literally, smoking and all).

Otherwise, great fan as it worked VERY well (better than clutch fan + stock efan).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is that the fan that comes in the v6 trucks?
it's pretty much the same fan, this one is just made by a different company.

Did he say how long its gonna take him to tune it?
Also what all are you getting done with your "tune" from him?
Thanks.
The PCM is gonna get to him on Thursday, and he says he can tune it and ship it out the same day. So I should get it next tuesday I'm guessing.
The plan is to remove the speed limiter, disable the rear o2 sensors (for my longtubes), raise the rev limiter and shift points, disable torque management, adjust timing and tune it for 93 octane, and possibly some other stuff. I won't know until the tuning is done, but I'll try to provide more details as soon as I can.

Just a word of advice on the TYC v6 fan. Id locktite the bolts that hold the fan motor to the housing. I had one that just went on me. 2 of the 3 bolts backed out making the fan motor off-center causing the fan to rub the housing and inturn causing the motor to burn up (literally, smoking and all).

Otherwise, great fan as it worked VERY well (better than clutch fan + stock efan).
Thanks for the heads up! Can you explain to me what that lock tight thing is you're talking about?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
can I have the part number on the fan and where did u get it from?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been thinking about going this route for a while now.. I'm getting closer to doing it. It will be great to hear your feed back. We pretty much have the same mods and I'll also be spraying soon. 75-125 shot along with a 3000 stall are next on the list. My only concern is... If and WHEN tuning comes out from say diablo for 11's + and people that didn't wanna wait and sent their PCM off to B&G. Since it's flashed.. Could you hook up a handheld tuner down the road and do your own tuning.. That's my biggest thing right now holding me back from getting a tune from Dave.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've been thinking about going this route for a while now.. I'm getting closer to doing it. It will be great to hear your feed back. We pretty much have the same mods and I'll also be spraying soon. 75-125 shot along with a 3000 stall are next on the list. My only concern is... If and WHEN tuning comes out from say diablo for 11's + and people that didn't wanna wait and sent their PCM off to B&G. Since it's flashed.. Could you hook up a handheld tuner down the road and do your own tuning.. That's my biggest thing right now holding me back from getting a tune from Dave.

I would be willing to bet that when and if a hand held tuner comes out that you will have to flash the computer back to stock before using it.

On the other side of that I don't see why if the PCM is flashed to a stock 2010 that you shouldn't be able to use one of the current hand held tuners on it other than if B&G is doing the flashing they want to sell you thier tune not let you use someone elses tuner.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Locktite is just like superglue for bolts (not permanent though). Theres red and blue. Red is stronger than the blue stuff. Either should do just fine as they arent meant to be lock-tite'd but after seeing what mine did I would suggest it.

Buy it at the auto-parts store. Comes in a very small triangle shaped tube.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Locktite is just like superglue for bolts (not permanent though). Theres red and blue. Red is stronger than the blue stuff. Either should do just fine as they arent meant to be lock-tite'd but after seeing what mine did I would suggest it.

Buy it at the auto-parts store. Comes in a very small triangle shaped tube.
Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to use it! Reps for that!

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Can you PM me more info on that PCM swapp. Price and expected gains etc?

I want one, but I think I will get shorties and my stall first. Which should be the next month or so. Then send my PCM in... Sending yours in you should have the same engine hours and miles calculated with out it resetting correct? So that information is not lost?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Jchaney, a PCM tune is about the BEST thing you could do to the stock truck. You can put headers on and Im sure youll feel a little bit but a tune changes the entire driving experience IMO. To boot, you can tune for the headers afterwards and make adjustments to a/f and spark on the dyno.

Im not saying get the PCM first but definitely understand youll see better gains with it than just headers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Installed the eFan this morning...worst mod install I've had so far, even worse than installing the ARH longtubes.

Gettting the stock clutch fan is nearly impossible. After spending nearly an hour, going to three different auto part stores to find a special tool which nobody had, breaking/bending several tools, cutting out the old fan shroud for more room, my dad and I finally decided it was time to weld our own tool.

Now with this tool and the old fan shroud out of the way, we were able to remove the clutch fan. The rest of this mod is quite easy. In fact, if my clutch fan had come off right away, this would have been a 10 minute mod. I got some Permatex Thread locker as another member on this forum suggested, and used it on the two bolts that hold the new fan in place.

I cut the nut from the clutch fan off and put it back on, I'm not sure if that was necessary...
I haven't been able to test the new fan due to my PCM being shipped off. Dave at B&G should receive it tomorrow, and then he is going to call me so I can give him a list of my mods so he can tune it accordingly.

Here's a fan comparison with the new TYC fan being on the left.

I found a helpful thread on how to do this fan swap in case any of you plan to do this in the future.

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108220&highlight=fan+swap

1 - 20 of 118 Posts