DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little over 50,000 miles on my 2014 and the original tires are about worn out. I will be getting new replacements (not sure what brand/model but it will be the stock 275/60 R20 size on the original wheels).

I've never had a TPMS vehicle before and I am wondering how long I can expect the batteries in the original TPMS sensors to last if I don't replace the sensors now when I am getting new tires?

Also, as far as i understand you can't just replace the batteries in the sensors, you have to replace the sensor. Does anyone know for sure if that is correct?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I replaced the sensors on my 2014 when I purchased new tires. I didn't want to chance the battery life. I read somewhere that the battery life expectancy is about equal to the tread life of the tire.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here in GA, its $89.99 for TPMS valve stems on 4 tires. I just had it done twice at 2 different tire stores! (Long Story, for a different thread!)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I read somewhere that the battery life expectancy is about equal to the tread life of the tire.

Spot on; I always get new sensors with new tires

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,450 Posts
Here in the Northeast we get a good 10 years out of our sensor batteries. I went 11 years on my Caddy. They all still worked but I knew they didn't have much life left. My 13 Laramie is going strong at 5 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got a puncture a week ago and had to have my tire patched. Brought the wheel in to a tire shop, they patched it up, and went straight home to reinstall. TPMS error comes on immediately so I drove around for two days and no change. Went back tonight and they installed a new aftermarket sensor, doesn't work either. Made sure frequency was correct, etc. Now they're ordering one efrom the local RAM dealer to swap in hopefully tomorrow. Didn't have this problem when I put new tires on about 15k miles ago but apparently these sensor are troublesome. Stick with the dealer supplied ones and change them with tires.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Most sensors work well past 10 years so I would not do it on a '14. I sold my 350Z with all the original sensors working after 13 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced my tires last month and they didn’t have the right sensors in stock so they just reused my old ones. I haven’t had any issues and it saved me money in the long run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I work at a tire shop and there is no need to replace the sensors at the same time as the tires. Typical life span is 8 to 10 years give or take. I personally think it's a waste of money. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Your not really saving a lot in labor because it's not that difficult to break the bead down of the tire to replace the sensors when they do fail. That's my 2 cents

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got new tires installed on my 2014 1500 Longhorn. I got my tires from Tirebuyer.com and them sent to my installer. The TPMS only added $5 per tire. To me it was worth $20 for a new set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts