DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting rid of the chrome, one part at a time. I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible...

Any suggestions and/or tips? Thanks!

- Emblems (front and rear + both side RAM 1500)
Plastidip without removing them from the truck.

- Stock 17" wheels
My brother did it on one of his previous truck and advised against using plastidip. I work at cell towers all over the state so I drive in (sometimes badly maintained) access roads and dirt roads so I've been told the dirt would stick to the plastidip and it will become brown. Is that true?

- Front grill
I was thinking about plastidip but then I'm not sure how it will hold up. Will it also turn brown?

- Front and rear bumpers
No idea. Vinyl wrapping is quite expensive. Not sure about plastidip.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
On my truck I removed the door emblems as well as the ones on the tailgate. the Rams head on the tailgate i replaced with a black one. It gives the truck a much cleaner look.

·
Premium Member
32,661 Posts
The front grille emblem comes off real easy, then you can change it anyway that you want
The rear has 2 sided tape on it

door emblems, there are several videos on youtube that show you every way to remove them

The grille is easily removed & its easy to separate the inserts from the chrome grille surround. The grille is held on by 4 screws on top & 2 clips at the bottom, you can find the 4 screws under the radiator dust cover
The inserts are held in by pinch clips

watch the first part of this video to see how easy it is to remove the grille
put painters tape or rags under the grille to protect the paint from being scratched on the bumper cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptcqtJg189s

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did what you're doing. I plasti dipped my front and rear bumper. got the Blacked out Projectors and Black Grill, found on Kijiji. I peeled the Plasti Dip off this summer and will re do it again in the fall for winter. Oh also blacked out my emblems. Now I want to get the RAM style grill like on the 2018 Sports and longhorns.

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
I put in a smoked Recon third brake light and did 3 coats of VHT Nightshade, 6 coats of clearcoat on the tail lights. I removed all emblems except the rams heads. I smoked my mirror puddle lights with VHT Nightshade. I swapped out the factory projectors for Spyder black projectors. I swapped out my chrome slat grille inserts with black honeycomb inserts. Removed the chrome lug nuts for black Gorilla locking lug nuts. I also swapped the factory antenna for a shorter black antenna. I will be using plastidip on the little metal piece on the bottom of the antenna and I have Lamin-x gun metal tints for my fog lights just waiting for some good weather to put them on. Then the blackout will be complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
rid of the chrome, one part at a time

i had this same problem with mine. TONS of chrome. 2008-2500. i used plasti-wrap (duplicolors version of plastidip) and it seemed to work out well. I've had to go back over a couple of times, the plastic pieces on rea bumper seems to pull every now and then. The grill inserts and outer portion, I rino-lined. Front bumper Plasti-wrap. But things have held pretty well, I

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would also like to remove all of the chrome from my project vehicle.
I am curious. Do you think there is a faction of Ram forumz members who prefer chrome and would be willing to accept them in trade for the painted counterparts on their truck? I would happily install the chrome parts for them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently used Plastidip to black out my emblems and grill. It was super easy. Big tip is to put your plastidip cans in warm water before using. It thins out the spray for smoother application. I have posted some pics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts