DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have: Gibson dual out the muffler 2.5" exhaust with a K&N CAI

My 0-60 time, without peelout, is about 11.3 seconds.

Would swapping the Gibson for the Glasspack and make it dual out the muffler with a Y piece help my 0-60 at all? Or would it just change the sound?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
What I have: Gibson dual out the muffler 2.5" exhaust with a K&N CAI

My 0-60 time, without peelout, is about 11.3 seconds.

Would swapping the Gibson for the Glasspack and make it dual out the muffler with a Y piece help my 0-60 at all? Or would it just change the sound?
If you want to improve times you are going to have to spend some time reducing parasitic drag in the vehicle. With a truck aerodynamics is what ruins the overall performance of the vehicle which is why you need more torque to get the ball rolling and keep it rolling. Balance I believe kills so much performance from a vehicle, which is considered to be part of parasitic drag. If you have everything perfectly balanced (not literally but close enough) then you could potentially exceed a vehicles maximum; for example I have a teacher who managed to drive a certain porsche about 112 MPH when it's max speed is only 100 and this speed has been tested in controlled environments, the engine that was in it was rebuilt and was precision balanced. Dynotech makes a ultra balanced driveshaft, they state that with a high speed balanced driveshaft that you not only reduce vibration but you reduce parasitic drag due to angular velocity. Primarly the weight, this is why alot of driveshafts are now made of aluminum because it's lighter thus less weight to spin around which has shown to add up to 8HP on a dyno.

Another trype of drag I notice is with the torque converter.

The transmission also is a producer of it's own parasitic drag, if you can increase the efficiency of the transmission you can not only increase MPG but you certainly will get better times.

I really conclude that in order to improve performance and MPG it costs alot of money between the time spent on materials to improve the dyanmics of the vehicle. Else wise you would just try to increase torque and hp in order to get better performance but at the cost of MPG.

A physics professor posted some information about drag in vehicles and one thing he stated is that a engine for example our magnum 318 is not a 225 HP engine but a 600 HP engine, the reason you never see 600 HP is because of all the losses. A gasoline engine isn't as efficient as a diesel engine. 30% of the energy from gasoline is wasted in the cooling system, 15% in the exhaust, in all you really only will get about 20-25% of the energy from gasoline. Another reason why gas engines have become so complex with computers.

But to answer your question, exhaust isn't going to help your time with any amount of significance. Their is too much drag to worry about, certainly a better exhaust system will help keep the engine cooler and have better asperation but drag is still going to be their.

It has been shown the use of synthetic fluids will help give you about 3% more power and MPG because of the reduction in friction that you get from synthetic oil.

Another thing that can be done is to have a spoiler or airdamn to cut the winds.

Another factor is always keep air in the tires to reduce drag from the tire. One thing I read about a long time ago that was interesting is that their is some type of inert gas that is lighter then air that you can put in the tires to replace air, since it's lighter the wheels will have less drag. It has been shown to give you I think it's 5% increase in MPG

Their are some other things that can be done but I'll save it for my book lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That a lot more info than I had bargained for! Thanks so much for this piece of info. Like they say, you learn something new every day.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
That a lot more info than I had bargained for! Thanks so much for this piece of info. Like they say, you learn something new every day.
Well I like to be sure to give more then I take which reminds me, may I have some rep please. Thanks.

Improving MPG and freeing up HP on these magnums it complicated. Like I probably said you can do a underdrive pulley and maybe change to an electric fan and an electric water pump, this can free up about 4 HP and maybe 1-3% MPG. Keeping the tires inflated will give you 1% MPG, using synthetic grease and lubes will give you 2% MPG and using a lighter gear oil can give you 1/2%. So I'll do the math... This includes the 1-3 for the pump
@ 1% pump .01+.005+.02+.01= .045 ---> .045*100 = 4.5%
@ 3% pump .01+.005+.02+.03= .065 ---> .065*100 = 6.5%
Lets say you get 17MPG so then:
@ 1% pump 17*.045= .765 MPG ---> 17.765 MPH
@ 3% pump 17*.065= 1.105 MPH ---> 18.105 MPG

Now their are numerous other mods or changes you can make that don't involve replacing any expensive part but they might make your truck look a little funky, for example you can put a piece of plastic board under the front of the truck to act as an air damn/director. But all things aside it's the little things that can add up and make a difference, driving style as well is a big factor. My biggest thing I love to deal with again is making sure all the parts are balanced and perfectly as I can with the money I have lol...

But yep no problem, good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts