DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I want to get rid of my horribly quiet Gibson muffler... Replaced with the cheap Glass Packs. The Gibson came with the dual exhaust out the muffler... So which of these designs would be better? Split out the glasspack or split into two glass packs?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
It would depend on if you have the hangers to do the dual glass packs, but I don't see much benefit from adding a second muffler to a single exhaust pipe. You'd be slowing the flow velocity down which would increase your back pressure in the exhaust system. I would personally go with the single muffler and split the tips, first it's cheaper, and second, you don't need to add any hangers to the system for the added weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, cheaper is good. Any ideas as to what the sound difference would be? There's a lot of pros and cons to glass packs

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yea, cheaper is good. Any ideas as to what the sound difference would be? There's a lot of pros and cons to glass packs
Yes there are pros/cons to glasspacks. IMO, I have a glasspack on my 5.9 and I'm no longer impressed with it. It's loud and unrestricted but I've heard they do very little to the performance of your vehicle. They completely eliminate the backpressure that is needed in most vehicles, not to mention the fact that a glasspack will get louder over a period of time. Again this is my opinion, save your money and go to something still performance oriented (flowmaster/magnaflow) that will give you some back pressure.:smileup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I currently have glasspack coming out of stock single pipe, if you are going glass pack route and want it to be loud then go with split to two glasspacks. ive noticed when you have 2 pipes coming out of a single glass pack the noise definetly tones down.:smileup: but like was mentioned it doesnt do a whole bunch for performance and once it breaks it sounds like you are running straights

1 - 6 of 6 Posts