DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question guys, I'm going to need new tires in the fall after putting about 40K on a set of Michelin LTX m/s2's. Was never a big fan of these tires so going to get something else. However, the plastic wheel inserts on the longhorn wheels are also showing signs of aging so that has me thinking. Should I get a new set of wheels and tires... should I go 22" and a street tire or keep there 20's and get All Terrain TA's???? thoughts??? Nitto grapplers????
Thanks for the input.

Leif

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sorry to hear of the poor mileage from the michelins. Had them on my 05 silverado and loved them, got 75k miles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm a Michelin Fanboy after having many sets go just short 100k miles on many vehicles.

I'm surprised those Michelins didn't do better. You have some mileage left via warranty as I believe those are warranted to 50k. If it's just a preference thing, understood.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Question guys, I'm going to need new tires in the fall after putting about 40K on a set of Michelin LTX m/s2's. Was never a big fan of these tires so going to get something else. However, the plastic wheel inserts on the longhorn wheels are also showing signs of aging so that has me thinking. Should I get a new set of wheels and tires... should I go 22" and a street tire or keep there 20's and get All Terrain TA's???? thoughts??? Nitto grapplers????
Thanks for the input.

Leif

I think you can unbolt and paint those inserts - if not I don't think you would have a problem selling them - they are one of the best looking oem wheels if they are what I am thinking of.

That being said, I went with stock size General HTS60 all season tires.

Quiet, tread life is supposed to be great, xtra-load which is nice, handle great - no complaints so far, have about 7000 miles on so far and they look new.
I do run them at 45 psi as I am usually loaded and over 70 mph and they are quiet at all speeds.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
IF I recall correctly, the M/S2 were a trial effort to get a softer rubber for better ice handling. the problem was the softer rubber compound owre out far too quickly and Michelin scraped the compound and went back to their original forula. Pretty sure this was over 4 or 5 years ago. anyway, sorry to hear about yoru issues.

FYI, I got new michelin LTX M/S about 2 years ago and already got 40K miles on them.
Had oen tire that needed repalced under road hazard. the shop thought the tires were still brand new, based on lack of wear and tread depth. told me I only needed one tire since the rest were so close to new depth.

ANyway, good luck with whatever tire you do get.

regarding the changing sizes, I would do 17 or 18 inch rims. More options for tire sizes and better off road handling.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah most people seem to get like 70,000 miles out of Michelins.

I am due for my 3rd set of tires in the next few months, my KO2s have over 53,000 on them now and may or may not make it to 60k. I will be going with them again

·
Registered
290 Posts
Been pretty happy with the heavy duty stock Goodyear Silent Armor's on my truck. They were getting worn down enough last fall that I didn't want to run them another winter, so I picked up a set of Kumho Road Venture AT51's.

They look aggressive--something like Goodrich All Terrain's--and were good in the mud last fall and snow in the winter.

I did notice they do not ride as smoothly or as quietly as the Silent Armor's did though. My problem with another set of Silent armor's was cost--got the Kumho's in a great deal from Tire rack with a rebate that saved me about 200 bucks on a set.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I have run Michelin MS2 tires on 3 trucks now
1999 Chevy 1500
2009 Ram 1500
now on a 2016 Ram 1500

I really like the way that they hold the road on wet pavement & i always get better than average mileage
The only time i hear the tires sing is on a stretch of road on I-10 just east of El Paso, it happens every year, so i knew where to expect it last Wednesday
I am in Connecticut now

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just put on a set of Continental Cross Contact Lx20's all season tires and could not be happier.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been real pleased with the Nitto Grappler G2. I only have about 500 miles on them. For an aggressive tire they are fairly quite. I can only hear them if the radio is off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have Nexen Roadian HP 295/40/20 on my wife's 2014 Jeep SRT, since they hold up to that beast, I got Nexen Roadian HP 305/45/22 on my 2014 Ram R/T. So far I love these tires and I don't spin out in the rain anymore.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I got about 40K on my Michelin MS2's which is more then I've gotten with other brands. Traction was fantastic until about the last 5K, rubber started to Chunk. I was glad my 2019 came in early as I don't think the tires would have lasted much longer on my 2014. This 2019 has Nexan Rodian's and I'm actually impressed with the wet traction, will see how long they last as I don't have any experience with Nexan tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also looking to replace oem. Currently Wrangler HP 265/60 20" on my 2012 1500 SLT 4x4 crew. I have been reading a lot of reviews for mostly highway driving but with west coast rain and crazy wet snow in Vancouver and just plain crazy snow on the coquihalla. I already swap tires on my Tahoe with Michelin Xice, but really getting tired of the process and storage of the second set. I am looking to the milder AT tires or all weather tires. The oems are great dry road tires and still smooth and quiet at 65000 mi, but like a Zamboni in the rain. always thought the ATs would be better in the wet but a lot of reviews seem say not always so. I have had michelin LTX M+S on an S15 Jimmy a long time ago and found them not great in snow or ice, OK in the rain. I was always mildly underwhelmed at the traction given the brand. All ears for your reports.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got about 40K on my Michelin MS2's which is more then I've gotten with other brands. Traction was fantastic until about the last 5K, rubber started to Chunk. I was glad my 2019 came in early as I don't think the tires would have lasted much longer on my 2014. This 2019 has Nexan Rodian's and I'm actually impressed with the wet traction, will see how long they last as I don't have any experience with Nexan tires.
On the Roadians, are they the AT tires? I just looked at the AT’s online and they have two 275/60/20 options. One is an LT and the other is a P I’m assuming. 10 ply vs 4 ply. I can get the 4 ply’s for $128. I don’t do much hauling and only tow a bass rig a bit in the spring/summer. Reviews on these tires seem great and at $128 I’m thinking it’s worth a shot. However, the LT version is more $$$. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
The 20" Michelin LTX M+S 2 tires have been replaced with the Michelin Defenders, i found that out in August 2017

The first snow fall happened today in upstate New York & i think in Kansas City

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my 2013 1500 and they were great in all conditions. I ran 40psi cold on 295/70-18, 10ply tires, and had ~50K miles on them with 8/32nds of tread left. Probably would have gotten 60K out of them. My only complaint with them was, they got louder as they wore and they began to sound and feel like a mud tire. I replaced them with the new Cooper AT3 XLT's, in the same size and ply rating. It was like a new truck with the Cooper's as they're smooth and ultra quiet, but the sidewall's look really sweet. Very aggressive look. I'll post some pics. I ordered them online at tirebuyer.com.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,642 Posts
G2's are the best overall AT on the planet, hands down my next set. Nothing but phenomenal reviews from everyone. Rode on a set of 35x12.5s, better than OEM. Any lug tire is going to amplify with wear, the compound is more firm for stability and you're technically closer to the road.

Get what you like though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts