DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my lift and tires on the truck. It's a Rough Country 4" lift with 35x12.50x17 Kuhmo Road Venture M/T's on KMC Addict wheels. It brought the truck up 6 inches at the driver's door, just about perfect for what I want. Got the nose up outta the weeds about 8 inches. Now it looks like a truck instead of a truck-shaped car. (no offense to those who like the stock setup. I'm a little bit hillbilly)

I went with the 17" rims because I'm old school (maybe just old) and I like a little chubby in my rubber. The new style 20"+ rims on big tires just don't look right to me. They look like they are gonna break the first time you hit something bigger than the paint lines in a crosswalk. But that's just my feelings on the subject. I'm sure the street cred from 24" rims on off road tires gains orders of magnitude of strength.....

So how does it drive? Well first off, it's very hard to drive right now. My hardon keeps getting caught in the steering wheel. Nearly mowed down an old man in the parking lot because I couldn't turn the wheel. But I'm sure in a week or so I'll calm down and the mobility scooter crowd will be safe. Other than that, I like it. It feels much better leveled out and a bit taller. For such knobbly treaded rubber it is very quiet on the road, even at 70+ MPH. Just a low volume hum, definitely the quietest mud tires I've ever experienced. The tires do slow the acceleration a bit. With the stock tires, I could light them up on any road surface with the TC off. Now I need a little dust on the pavement to break 'em loose. Can still break them loose and power slide around corners though. A fair trade off for my money.

Here's a few quick and dirty pics. It's too bloody sloppy around here right now to get any pics of it clean. I still got some BushWacker pocket flares to put on it, they are still at the paint shop. And I got a Westin Bull Bar to put on yet, but that will have to wait for my next set of days off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Badass. Every truck should look like that.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Dammit! my wallet started quivering.... looks great!!!! Now I'm sold on the black wheels...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a local shop install the lift, but they were good enough to let me in the back to watch/help when I had the time after work. I'm very happy with them and the work they did. Installation cost me just over $800 including the alignment, which we did twice untill it was perfect. Big heavy rubber takes some cheating on the readings to make it behave like stock tires. Like I said, I'm very happy with them.

Mileage will take a hit, I know. But I only have about 20 miles on it, so I don't know how big a hit it will be. The way I drove it before netted me about 7-8 mpg in town before, but I had no mercy on the tires before since I knew I was replacing it. I'll be a little more gentle on it now, lol. That should help mileage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks great, I agree with the rim size on lifted trucks. The 20" just looks cheesy when there lifted. I put a 6" lift on my 04 silverado and everybody said to go with 20" inch wheels but I preffered the 17" too. That was a great price ($800) for the labor. I did mine myself and would much rather have paid that price. very labor intensive......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a mechanic and it just freakin' kills me to pay someone else to work on my stuff. But right now I have no place to work on the truck except my half frozen/half mud parking space. It was worth the money to have it done in a shop on a lift. And they let me get in there and mess around with the guy doing the work, and it was done in a day. Worked out pretty good.

I still grin like an escaped mental patient when I drive it, but I've calmed down enough to keep my junk from messing with the controls. I can't wait for my days off so I can take it out to the local gravel pit and mess around with it. These tires like to bite the dirt, and I wanna let them eat.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I do everything on my trucks myself, but I know where your coming from about trying to do it without a lift in the mud. That's also why I would love to find an inexpensive programmer to be able to reprogram the computer for mods I put on the truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts