DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then my 2009 4.7 SLT Quad Cab with factory remote start, it will turn it on by itself. This has be witnessed by fellow workers while I am not at the jobsite. It has happenned in many different locations.

Dodge can not find a problem, lol, and they had it for 1 week to check on it.

Also a side note, the front windows will also roll down by themselves under any conditions, places, times, etc: just like the start problem.

It is not me pressing the button by accident, as it has happenned when my keys were not on my person, and where no one could get to them.

Any Dodge techs out there hear of this?

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Richie the Puzzled

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe the gremlins are still inside your truck! Just kidding but that is a really weird and dangerous problem. Could it be someone else with a similar remote start and remote that is on the same frequency. I am not sure how secure those things are or how they work exactly.

Yikes! Hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
never heard of this happening but it would be really easy for them to change out the control module and give you new key fobs.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
X2 on believing someone nearby has a fob with a code close to yours. I'd bet it could be any brand of auto/truck too so looking for other Rams might be fruitless. I imagine all of the codes for remotes are on a narrow enough set of frequencies that manufacturers overlap a good bit.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, it's not another fob

This has happenned in at least 10 totally different locations, including where I hunt in NY state no one around for miles.

I have at least 12 people that have witnessed it, coming to get me and telling me my truck started. It runs the 15 mins or so and shuts, but all kidding aside, I would appreciate useful input.

I know I may not get an answer here, just looking for people that may have had a similiar problem, or those that may have fixed something like this.

btw the dealer said they replaced the module, but I am not sure which one. I do have a lifetime warranty, so I am in contact with Dodge warranty now.

Personally I am asking for any and all related electronic components to be replaced, I do not think it is a short, as the truck is not moving when it happens.

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks, didn't realize that. I'll be sure to let them know.

Regards,

Richie

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This has happenned in at least 10 totally different locations, including where I hunt in NY state no one around for miles.

I have at least 12 people that have witnessed it, coming to get me and telling me my truck started. It runs the 15 mins or so and shuts, but all kidding aside, I would appreciate useful input.

I know I may not get an answer here, just looking for people that may have had a similiar problem, or those that may have fixed something like this.

btw the dealer said they replaced the module, but I am not sure which one. I do have a lifetime warranty, so I am in contact with Dodge warranty now.

Personally I am asking for any and all related electronic components to be replaced, I do not think it is a short, as the truck is not moving when it happens.

Thanks
It could be an airplane frequency. My parents garage door used to open unexpectedly. It took us quite a while to realize it did it as a plane was flying over @ low altitude. Changed the frequency band (with a new chip I believe) and the problem went away.

I believe the Dodge fob frequency scans as well (changes the expected frequency code each time it is used to prevent code theft). This might also lead to a more random event as well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You can pair any fobs to any vehicle I don't think they are paired up. I recall when working on the line grabbed 2 fobs from a box of hundreds and programmed them to the vehicle.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updates

Thanks for all the input.
Here are some answers I have researched from all the input.

New modules do not come with new fobs
New fobs do not come with a new module
Freqs are not the answer as it happens in locations that are 50 to 100 Miles apart from my home and work location.
It happens to often to be another fob or remote with exact freqs
Airline transmission freqs are all way higher or lower in freq than any normal freqs used on fobs, phones, remotes etc.
Dodge did replace the module for the remote start and I did not get fobs.

Bad news

Dodge dealers will not just change parts unless they find them defective, which unfortunately for me has not happenned yet.
This problem could be one of many modules, or wiring harness problems.

Good news

Dodge Warranty Max Care, (I have the lifetime), has agreed to start to replace items one at a time starting with new fobs until we find the correction. Hopefully this happens ASAP

Again thanks for ALL the input, it was appreciated.

Richie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts