DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

We have a 2015 RAM 3500 with a Nav System. We are trying to find out if there's a way to upload GPS coordinates in any format that will work in our Nav. System. I have all the coordinates in a .CSV file, (comma delimited) file type aka Comma Separated File. Plus I have them in a .GDP and .GPX file format.

Does anyone know of a way that I can upload the values into my Nav. System?

I can't find any documentation on the Nav. System that speaks to adding GPS coordinates to the System.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Garmen Nuvi

Thanx for your reply. Appreciate it. What Model Nuvi do you use and do you like it? If money was no object, would you own a different model?

What I don't understand is, since we have a Nav. System in the truck, what additional "value" does carrying a Garmen GPS device afford you?

Thanx again for your help.

Dan

·
Registered
60 Posts
While I added Nav to my truck it was more of a kicker when working the deal than a must have option. My last 3 vehicles have had it and it is not what I want out of a gps. You can't set them up while driving so the navigator is kinda lost until the vehicle stops, the initial cost is over the top, and the updates cost more than a garmin and are usually yearly. The value on the resale end remains to be seen due to the influx of smart phones. Google maps updates frequently, sometimes weekly, can be used by the navigator at any time and seems to be much smarter than your average built in....imho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garmen Nuvi

OK - thanx again!
Been reading about the Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable. Is this the model you're using? I'm kind of liking it because of the bigger screen. What do you think?

Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
You could use the UConnect app location map. Enter the GPS coordinates into the search bar. For example NY would be:

Decimal (World Geodetic System WGS84) : 40.71448, -74.00598

Decimal Minutes (Global Positioning System GPS) : N40 42.8688 W74 0.35879

Degrees, Minutes, Seconds : N 42' 52.128", W 0' 21.5274"

It will only let you do one at a time and would be time consuming. Each time you search, it will drop a pin on the map (Google Maps) and if you select the pin, there is an option to send it to your truck. Once it is in your truck, you can save it. It would be time consuming, but no cost.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think you might be able to access UConnect from a PC and at least if you go that route, you may be able to just cut and paste instead of typing the coordinates into your phone. Haven't tried it myself, but if you have a ton of locations you might want to try it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UConnect

I have a UConnect subscription but I did not find anyway whatsoever to interface a PC, iPad, iPhone or other device to my factory Nav. System. This is the reason I'm considering a Garmen nuvi device. Like someone previously said, the cost of one factory map update, around $180.00 almost pays for the Garmen 7" GPS device. Almost a no brainer.

·
Registered
708 Posts
OK - thanx again!
Been reading about the Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch Portable. Is this the model you're using? I'm kind of liking it because of the bigger screen. What do you think?

Dan
I have the 2797 and have used it for two years with good results. No serious complaints and it's as accurate as any I've used.

But when I bought the 2014 Sport I liked the Nav setup so I drove with it for a while. It's as good as the 2797 for navigation but has two things I like. It shows up in the EVIC when a turn is coming and that let's me concentrate on the turn and keeps my eyes on the road. It also notifies me sooner than the Garmin did. It will give me two miles notice at freeway speeds and at times that's a real advantage when you need to change lanes in heavy traffic. The waypoints are not something I use so it's not important to me.

I won't argue that the updates are pricey but the roads seldom change and I'll update every couple of years so the cost is acceptable. I'll keep using the in truck nav and no need to hang an aftermarket one from the windshield.

As an aside, my position indicator on the screen is a white Ram with black tonneau cover just like my truck, Don't know exactly how I found it but neat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a UConnect subscription but I did not find anyway whatsoever to interface a PC, iPad, iPhone or other device to my factory Nav. System. This is the reason I'm considering a Garmen nuvi device. Like someone previously said, the cost of one factory map update, around $180.00 almost pays for the Garmen 7" GPS device. Almost a no brainer.
Did you download the uconnect app? Bottom of the home screen, center, says location. Brings up the map and you can enter coordinates into the search bar. It will drop a little red marker on the map for you entered coordinate. Touch that and it will give you the option to send to your truck's nav.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Garmen Nuvi

My wife, being the navigator on our trips, is pushing hard for the Garmen Nuvi. She's wanting it because, like I wrote earlier, the factory Nav. System locks up as soon as we start to move. Very annoying. Plus, we have a spreadsheet of waypoint coordinates that just cannot be uploaded all at once into the trucks factory Nav. System. But you can upload easily into a Garmen unit. Add to this the more current maps that Garmen gives you 4 times a year. We wouldn't mount it to the windshield but she'd carry it on her lap like a iPad or Laptop device making it easier to use. I do like the truck's factory Nav. System as a driver. Maybe it's overkill to have both, but then again, I depend on my wife to plot the trips. She focuses on where we are going and I focus on getting us there safely by not being a distracted driver.

Guess it all comes down to personal choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you download the uconnect app? Bottom of the home screen, center, says location. Brings up the map and you can enter coordinates into the search bar. It will drop a little red marker on the map for you entered coordinate. Touch that and it will give you the option to send to your truck's nav.
I've been using the Send N Go function (the location symbol you mentioned) to pull from my phones contacts. But like you said it one at a time. I tried entering GPS coordinates (the ones you provided.) The Uconnect app won't accept any of the coordinates - it states to enter a City, State or Zip code.

How did you get yours to work?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been using the Send N Go function (the location symbol you mentioned) to pull from my phones contacts. But like you said it one at a time. I tried entering GPS coordinates (the ones you provided.) The Uconnect app won't accept any of the coordinates - it states to enter a City, State or Zip code.

How did you get yours to work?
I go to location on the Uconnect map.

I want to go to New York, NY. Internet search tells me the Lat and Long is
Lat: 40.7144 Long: -74.006

In the search bar I enter 40.7144, -74.006
I hit enter and the app brings up 1 address at that location of 280 Broadway. I tap that address and the app pulls up the map with the option to send to vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any fixes for this yet? Looking for a way to upload GPX files from Garmin Base Camp to my truck... I posted this an another thread as well, go easy on me...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bought my truck new in 2014. Came with the Nav already set up. It didn't take many miles to realize it sucked. Wish I had made them take the Nav off and reduce the price of the truck. I use my portable tom tom and get along great with it. Wife can enter destinations while moving, map upgrades are free, reliability is much better, and I can use it in all our vehicles

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bought my truck new in 2014. Came with the Nav already set up. It didn't take many miles to realize it sucked. Wish I had made them take the Nav off and reduce the price of the truck. I use my portable tom tom and get along great with it. Wife can enter destinations while moving, map upgrades are free, reliability is much better, and I can use it in all our vehicles
Last trip I took to Moosehead Lake in Maine, the UConnect Nav gave me 27 incorrect directions between Western PA and Greenville ME, and didn't even have the roads for the last 25 miles of the trip.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Last trip I took to Moosehead Lake in Maine, the UConnect Nav gave me 27 incorrect directions between Western PA and Greenville ME, and didn't even have the roads for the last 25 miles of the trip.
That's what I found traveling to Alaska and Newfoundland. Imo the Nav is junk and FCA screwed us on our $600.00 upcharge for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts