DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2012 1500 Sport Quad which is equipped with the EVIC and the 430N. I think I'm going crazy. Why? Well, the first day I had the truck I was testing the GPS by routing to my house. I noticed at the time that I was getting voice guidance through the radio and seeing the text of the voice guidance displayed on the EVIC. Cool, I thought. Since that first day, I have not been able to recreate the text on the EVIC. Granted, I messed around with some of the settings on the 430N and on the EVIC. But the EVIC Nav Turn-By-Turn setting is checked, as well as the 430N Voice Guidance set to "on". So, am I crazy? Did I really see the directions displayed in text form on my EVIC? If so, how do I get it back? It's the little things that drive you crazy, isn't it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought a 2012 1500 Sport Quad which is equipped with the EVIC and the 430N. I think I'm going crazy. Why? Well, the first day I had the truck I was testing the GPS by routing to my house. I noticed at the time that I was getting voice guidance through the radio and seeing the text of the voice guidance displayed on the EVIC. Cool, I thought. Since that first day, I have not been able to recreate the text on the EVIC. Granted, I messed around with some of the settings on the 430N and on the EVIC. But the EVIC Nav Turn-By-Turn setting is checked, as well as the 430N Voice Guidance set to "on". So, am I crazy? Did I really see the directions displayed in text form on my EVIC? If so, how do I get it back? It's the little things that drive you crazy, isn't it?
Nope! Not crazy at all. I did an upgrade in my 2010 from the RES to the new 730N RHR. Totally plug & play and I get the turn-by-turn routing guidance not only on the unit but also in the EVIC...all the time. Impressive how these trucks are "pre-wired". In fact, I had accidentally turned off one of the settings and I wasn't getting the turn-by-turn on the radio unit...but it was still showing up in the EVIC :smileup:

I'm guessing it must be in one of the nav settings...possibly you accidently changed something when you were "messing" around with the settings?? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good to know I'm not seeing things. Does anyone know what settings to use to get the text back? Does it matter where I'm at in the EVIC menu? I usually leave it at the top (where it shows the radio status).

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's good to know I'm not seeing things. Does anyone know what settings to use to get the text back? Does it matter where I'm at in the EVIC menu? I usually leave it at the top (where it shows the radio status).
I really don't think it matters where you are on the EVIC...I'm usually at the same setting as you are 95% of the time.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a setting in the nav menu of the radio unit. I need to go out later today and maybe I'll mess around with it to see if I can find the correct setting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That would be great, Lefty! Just don't mess yours up....
Well...went out for a drive & checked it out. Unfortunately I'm not going to be of much help. There's nothing I can find in the EVIC settings that would disable the turn-by-turn text in the EVIC??

All I can suggest is going to your nav main menu, select nav settings, select guidance prompts & make sure "show turn arrows in radio/media" is checked.

Mine works fine all the time. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Lefty. Unfortunately, my 430N doesn't have the guidance prompt your 730n has. I'm quite befuddled over this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've given up. I can't find any settings to get the turn by turn directions to display on the EVIC. Now I'm thinking I may have seen the EVIC text display while test driving a 1500 with the 730n radio.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I can tell you it that it DOES display on the 2012 w/ 430N RHB on the EVIC.

But only right before (I think within a mile of, not aboslutely sure) the upcoming turn/whatever, not constantly.

Well, I've given up. I can't find any settings to get the turn by turn directions to display on the EVIC. Now I'm thinking I may have seen the EVIC text display while test driving a 1500 with the 730n radio.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I guess I did see it that first couple of days. Haven't seen it since even though I've been using the GPS. I do have the 430N RHB, by the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi -- I'm a newbie, still exploring this forum, but thought I could help with this one. I have the 430N + EVIC. Under the Customer Programmable Features (System Setup) in the EVIC, you can turn on/off the NAV turn by turn in the EVIC itself. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Newbie here as well you can access this in the EVIC. Mine only appears in the EVIC when I'm approaching a turn. It appears to show when you are between a mile and mile and a half. Hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I just can't get it to work again. I've got the turn by turn checked, I'm looking at it the last mile or so - it just ain't happenin'. Oh well. In the great scheme of things I guess it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks guys. I just can't get it to work again. I've got the turn by turn checked, I'm looking at it the last mile or so - it just ain't happenin'. Oh well. In the great scheme of things I guess it really doesn't matter.
If you push any button on your steering wheel that relates to the EVIC function it will set the screen back to EVIC options. It should however reappear as you approach a turn when it speaks the directions to you. Might be something to have your dealer look at during the next oil change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You might be right. I realized something today. About a week after I bought the truck I had a remote starter installed by the dealer. I remember them downloading software using the EVIC when I went to pick it up. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. I remember seeing the GPS text in the EVIC only the first few days I drove it. Now it's starting to make some sense.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I only have the 2009 RER 730N, on mine i just get a arrow on the EVIC & the Radios face & the radio screen also reads out the distance to the turn. It sure comes in handy when i am way out in the desert, where road signs are scarce & the only thing moving out there are coyotes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts