DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

2013 Ram 2500 HD Tradesman, 5.7 L Hemi.

Little confused about grease fittings/greasable-non-greaseable in the context of my:

1. Driveshafts
2. U-joints at each front wheel

The shop manual states to lube the driveshafts on the Diesel model at an interval, but no mention of the Hemi models.

I do understand what the needle type fitting looks like and how to locate it.

I searched and found no grease fittings of any type.

Is that by design?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most likely. Most factory U-Joints in all vehicles these days are sealed with no fittings. Unless you have a vibration, noise or other issue with them - they are good until they give you issues - and then they must be replaced.

·
Registered
345 Posts
That's the manufacturer covering every possibility in one manual for multiple configurations. Cheaper to put everything in one manual for the HD than to make multiple versions.

If there's no nipple it either broke off or the u-joint is sealed (aka lifetime) unit. Since they are OEM, if none of them have it I would assume they are lifetime joints as I don't think all of them broke off ;).

My last truck (F-250) only had greasable joints in the steering. All the ones in the driveline were sealed/lifetime.

I've been down both roads (aftermarket greaseable and lifetime) and I prefer the lifetime joints.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my 2013 2500 there is a label under the hood that tells what to lube. On my Hemi mega cab, the only grease point is on the front u joint on the front axle. It uses the needle fitting and it is a bitch to find. Need to really clean the surface to find it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
On my 2013 2500 there is a label under the hood that tells what to lube. On my Hemi mega cab, the only grease point is on the front u joint on the front axle. It uses the needle fitting and it is a bitch to find. Need to really clean the surface to find it.
You are correct! Most dealers deny there is a fitting but it is there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for everyone's help.

I do have a decal/sticker in engine compartment that states to lube front driveshaft U-joint. It also says see shop manual for more info.

1. I do understand what the different types of grease fittings are/look like/location. There is not any on my front (or rear) drive shaft.

2. The Haynes shop manual describes this grease fitting only on Diesel, I have Hemi.

People say if there's a sticker in engine compartment, there's a fitting. Is it possible the sticker is there by mistake?

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes my truck is 4X4. There is no fitting to grease as depicted in the thumbnail of the video you sent. Thank you for that. I'm friendly with an old veteran mechanic, who has done work on my truck, and he said there is no grease ports for the U-joints. He said it's possible the sticker is there by mistake.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe the 4 WD Hemi doesn't have the double cardan - but -
The Cardan grease port location is NOT on the U-Joints themselves - it is between the 2 U-Joints on the double joint shaft CV H Yoke..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts