DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - second post here, still learning the forum, apologies if this was addressed elsewhere and I missed it.

1998 ram 1500, auto, 4x4, 106k miles (original miles). Was pulling a pretty big log out last weekend and dropped it into 4L (and yes I did it correctly). Shifted back into 2x4 and was able to drive home.

Yesterday, I was pulling out onto the road (4x4 disengaged) and all of a sudden, at about 15 mph/~2000 rpm, there's this sick grinding noise from below. It doesn't last long, maybe a second or two each time, but it kept happening on the drive. It felt like the 4x4 was trying to engage...

Perhaps related - when 4H is engaged, right turns cause a terrible grinding noise (not the same as I mentioned in 2x4, lower pitch, full duration of the turn). My drive to work and back is about a mile, so I haven't driven since I got home. Don't really know where to start. I haven't spent too much time with anything but engines, so this is a true n00bie post. If you have any wisdom or places to start, that'd be helpful. I'm having trouble articulating what's happening, so troubleshooting has been a bit difficult.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
When you turn in 4WD you will grind if you have too much traction. If you don't need the 4WD then turn it off and you won't grind when cornering.

As to the first part, no clue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts