DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 09 ram 1500 crew. Since I've gotten it, I've noticed a "grinding" feel up front. Basically when I take off from a stop around 10 to 15 mph, i feel a slight grinding on the floorboard. It goes away after about 20 mph. I also sometimes feel it when I take a right turn. I am not hearing anything with the stereo off and window down though, so I can't say I really hear anything "grinding". Initially I thought it was brakes, so I had them checked and they were 80 to 90%. I was then thinking of a bearing, but they said no it wasn't that (plus it wasn't doing after 20 mph and no other noise). The mechanic seems to think its the tires. The tires are about 50%. They don't seem to be in bad shape, but he thinks they may be cupped a bit and he says they are tires that he doesn't see on Rams very often. I guess my question is whether other people would agree with the tire diagnosis, or is there something else he could be missing? He also said he drove it and turned off the engine at 20 mph and let it coast in neutral and it still made the same "grinding" feel. I did the same and he is right, same "feel" with the engine off coasting. Other things to note is that it rides very smoothly otherwise. No other loud tire noises on the highway. Alignment is perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does it in 4wd too. Nothing different though. Same sound/symptoms. I haven't asked them to check a the Ujoint. This might be a stupid question, but I'm not a big "car" guy. Would the Ujoint still be spinning when you shut the truck off and be coasting to a stop? It still made the same noise with the truck off and coasting in neutral to a stop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought an 09 ram 1500 crew. Since I've gotten it, I've noticed a "grinding" feel up front. Basically when I take off from a stop around 10 to 15 mph, i feel a slight grinding on the floorboard. It goes away after about 20 mph. I also sometimes feel it when I take a right turn. I am not hearing anything with the stereo off and window down though, so I can't say I really hear anything "grinding". Initially I thought it was brakes, so I had them checked and they were 80 to 90%. I was then thinking of a bearing, but they said no it wasn't that (plus it wasn't doing after 20 mph and no other noise). The mechanic seems to think its the tires. The tires are about 50%. They don't seem to be in bad shape, but he thinks they may be cupped a bit and he says they are tires that he doesn't see on Rams very often. I guess my question is whether other people would agree with the tire diagnosis, or is there something else he could be missing? He also said he drove it and turned off the engine at 20 mph and let it coast in neutral and it still made the same "grinding" feel. I did the same and he is right, same "feel" with the engine off coasting. Other things to note is that it rides very smoothly otherwise. No other loud tire noises on the highway. Alignment is perfect.
i have an 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9L 4x4 that seems to have a tire lock up when your taken off with the steering wheel turned but its a grinding noise when i turn the wheel and at low speeds

1 - 4 of 4 Posts