DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck was running fine and I went to back it out over the weekend to head somewhere and it was making a grinding noise from the back driver side tire and was also making while going forward. Checked the rotor and it was in bad shape so I replaced that and put new pads on both sides last night. Test drove it last night and it seemed fine. This morning on my way to work, I heard the noise again for a very short period of time maybe once or twice while slowing down. Any ideas on what this may be coming from? I checked the passenger side rotor and it is getting close to needing replaced and my do it this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
So you have one new and one old rotor?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Truck was running fine and I went to back it out over the weekend to head somewhere and it was making a grinding noise from the back driver side tire and was also making while going forward. Checked the rotor and it was in bad shape so I replaced that and put new pads on both sides last night. Test drove it last night and it seemed fine. This morning on my way to work, I heard the noise again for a very short period of time maybe once or twice while slowing down. Any ideas on what this may be coming from? I checked the passenger side rotor and it is getting close to needing replaced and my do it this weekend.

At the minimum, always do brakes as a set. Both fronts or both rears.
Usually wise to replace calipers, while you are in there. Not hugely expensive and, over the decades, I have found it to be worth the little extra bit of expense, versus the pain in the arse of not doing it, at the same time.

Regarding your question, I imagine it is the uneven thickness of the brake pads, side to side, and the calipers applying the same amount of pressure. once side is applying earlier and staying applied a tad bit longer the the other. Could very well be that side your eplaced the pads has a caliper that is getting weak or hanging up. so ti is causing the pads, on that side to remand applied for longer time, than the other side, which as fully functioning caliper operating as designed. hence the pads on that side were far more worn and got into your rotor.

see first paragraph about replacing calipers at same time as brake pads.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You wouldn't do an oil change and use the same old oil filter would you? Same thing, always do them in AT LEAST in pairs.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
You wouldn't do an oil change and use the same old oil filter would you? Same thing, always do them in AT LEAST in pairs.
There are probably more who change the oil independent of filters than change brakes independently

1 - 6 of 6 Posts