DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 makes kind of a groaning sound when it's in 4WD. It goes into gear without a problem, drives find but is noisy. I've checked the fluid in the front and rear diffs and the transfer case and the levels are all fine. It doesn't make any noise when it's in 2WD so I'm thinking it's got something to do with the front diff. Anybody else experience this?

It's gonna snow here sooner or later so I'll have to use the 4WD, but I don't want to blow something up so I'd like to get this fixed.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Are all 4 tires the exact same size. Even if there is more wear on the back then the front with the same tire size can cause so pretty serious binding which can contribute to a groaning sound. Other things to check are the front U-joints...and well, pretty much every everything from the T-case to the front wheels.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Can't think what the common name is for it at this particular moment, but I'm thinking the rear joint on your front driveshaft is shot. It's a double jointed ujoint which is completely rebuildable if you have heat available, as well as a hammer and vise. They dry out and get corroded and then squeak and start getting metallically clangey (new words for Webster) then will start vibrating when going down the road in 4wd. Change it before it starts vibrating, lots cheaper if you get it before you destroy the yokes. Check it by being in 2wd, and crawling under and yanking the rear of the front driveshaft in all four directions. I 'd change the front ujoint too, once its off, cheap insurance.Make sure they flop easy before you bolt the shafts back in, or they won't last very long, a well placed thwack to ensure center will ensure proper center. Lots of heat will aid greatly in removing the caps, after burning out the ujoint centers. Don't forget to put the clips in...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are all 4 tires the exact same size. Even if there is more wear on the back then the front with the same tire size can cause so pretty serious binding which can contribute to a groaning sound. Other things to check are the front U-joints...and well, pretty much every everything from the T-case to the front wheels.
The tires are all the same size, but they're different makes & types. The rears are more knobby, the fronts are more streety.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't think what the common name is for it at this particular moment, but I'm thinking the rear joint on your front driveshaft is shot. It's a double jointed ujoint which is completely rebuildable if you have heat available, as well as a hammer and vise. They dry out and get corroded and then squeak and start getting metallically clangey (new words for Webster) then will start vibrating when going down the road in 4wd. Change it before it starts vibrating, lots cheaper if you get it before you destroy the yokes. Check it by being in 2wd, and crawling under and yanking the rear of the front driveshaft in all four directions. I 'd change the front ujoint too, once its off, cheap insurance.Make sure they flop easy before you bolt the shafts back in, or they won't last very long, a well placed thwack to ensure center will ensure proper center. Lots of heat will aid greatly in removing the caps, after burning out the ujoint centers. Don't forget to put the clips in...
What's the benefit of rebuilding it as opposed to just replacing it? Is it an expensive part? And did you remember what it's called?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Double cardan joint, to learn more about it, check youtube, put double cardan joint in the title. There, you'll see what a bad one does, and what a good one does. Heads up, if you have no oxy/acytl torch, go find a driveline rebuilder place. I think oriellys will sell you a new driveshaft for 2 or300 bucks,after the core charge. The 2 ujoints and ballsocket rebuild kit, plus a new front driveshaft ujoint for the front joint, will probably cost around $75. I , personally, will not buy an assembly, cuz I always have this image of some 9 year old rebuilding them at some sweatshop in a banana republic with a gun to their head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Double cardan joint, to learn more about it, check youtube, put double cardan joint in the title. There, you'll see what a bad one does, and what a good one does. Heads up, if you have no oxy/acytl torch, go find a driveline rebuilder place. I think oriellys will sell you a new driveshaft for 2 or300 bucks,after the core charge. The 2 ujoints and ballsocket rebuild kit, plus a new front driveshaft ujoint for the front joint, will probably cost around $75. I , personally, will not buy an assembly, cuz I always have this image of some 9 year old rebuilding them at some sweatshop in a banana republic with a gun to their head.
Thanks, I'll check into that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts