DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that everytime I backup or drive my 03 q-cab around a slow curve I get a groaning sound coming from my rear end. Anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if it might be the lsd and a common noise for these trucks or not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does it happen after it rains? i have an 04 and after it rained i would hear a noise when i backed out of the driveway, and once i started going foward it would go away.

The problem with mine was one of the booties in the brake caliper was folded over and not releasing the brake pads fully when i took my foot off the brake. bought 2 new calipers for the rearend and havent heard the noise sense.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check your differential fluid level. Might not be a bad idea to change it altogether with some fresh gear lube unless you familiar with your Rams maintenance history. I know the 10.5 2500 rears come from the factory with 75W-90 and as I was having the same issue, I swapped the lube out for some 75W-140 and a bottle of LSD lube. Virtually eliminated the slow turn chatter.

Check the owners/service manual to see what lube is recommended for your 9.25 (1500). It may already have the 140 lube in there (and if it's a trac-lite rear, it doesn't require the LSD lube).

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've noticed that everytime I backup or drive my 03 q-cab around a slow curve I get a groaning sound coming from my rear end. Anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if it might be the lsd and a common noise for these trucks or not.
Have you changed the rear end fluid ? If it's a limited slip, I would change the fluid ASAP and don't forget the 4oz. bottle of friction modifier from Mopar.
Mine used to do this before I started changing it every 30,000 miles. No problems any more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts