DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under my truck yesterday just checking everything out and noticed a ground strap dangling from the rear part of the block. It was actually coming down from the passenger side right next to the catalytic converter. I couldn't see where it would attach and have not had any luck finding a ground strap diagram online.

The truck appears to be running just fine and fuel economy isn't suffering so i'm not sure how long it has been disconnected. Does anyone have an idea where it might attach? Thank you!

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
Ground strap huh? Could you post a pic? I can take a look under mine and see where it connects to. Unless someone else may know and posts.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Sorry for the weird angle of the pic, the P/S frame rail is at the top of the pic. The strap I think you're talking about attaches to the heat shield, see how it sort of runs across the top of the downpipe right in front of the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Years ago, the very same strap came loose on mine. I had the truck in for warranty work back then and had the dealer repair - I can’t to this day see where they reconnected it (they said it went somewhere behind the block), and I remember staring up at it for hours trying to figure it out. I noticed no issues with the truck while it was disconnected. I realize this is of limited help - sorry.....

·
Registered
831 Posts
Crap - spoke before looking at the pic thunderhorse posted - if it’s that strap, then yes it connects to the heat shield. I had one closer to the rear of the block that had come loose years ago. Sorry for the misinformation. -

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s the one thunder! Thank you very much for posting the picture, I clipped it back on. Turbovsix, I appreciate the input buddy, no worries!:Racing:

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
NP man, we're all here to help each other out. I had an axle seal replaced this week so I've been under it to make sure everything's fixed right. The picture didn't really require any effort

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Enough to throw some oil around

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Vehicles these days have quite a few ground straps

My 1999 Chevy 1/2 ton had 9 of them
Body to frame, frame to engine, etc. etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am putting in a 5.7 engine in a 2003 ram 1500 and can not figure where this ground strap goes it is connected to the body by the rear of the engine bay and has two openings at different lengths and this weird wire with a rubber kind of cone shape and I can not figure where it goes as my memory is for do do , it is on the passenger side of the truck .
I appreciate any help as I should have taken pictures but forgot as I was in a hurry thanks everyone for any help ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am putting in a 5.7 engine in a 2003 ram 1500 and can not figure where this ground strap goes it is connected to the body by the rear of the engine bay and has two openings at different lengths and this weird wire with a rubber kind of cone shape and I can not figure where it goes as my memory is for do do , it is on the passenger side of the truck . View attachment 133197 View attachment 133198 I appreciate any help as I should have taken pictures but forgot as I was in a hurry thanks everyone for any help ?
That is a knock sensor should be on on both sides of the block

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as the ground strap that on looks like it goes on the back of the heads and down to your ground lug on the frame should be one on passenger side and driver side

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is a knock sensor should be on on both sides of the block
Thank you for the help I found it and the truck is running like a top it was a great learning experience for me as I am use to working on older trucks and cars but nothing this new and it has fought all the way LMAO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts