DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone every get a growling coming from the front? I've changed out the wheel hub assembly's and checked the gears. Nothing wrong!?!?!?! Any ideas?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Probably need to be more specific, but the power steering growls or makes a howling sound when it is cold outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No this is a growl when moving down the road. Sounds like I have mud grips on. Maybe not that bad but very similar. Really notice it when pulling to a stop sign.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hey anyone every get a growling coming from the front? I've changed out the wheel hub assembly's and checked the gears. Nothing wrong!?!?!?! Any ideas?
Hi @Jrod72,

If you are unable to remedy this concern with the assistance of fellow forum members, I kindly suggest connecting with your local Ram dealer for further support. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, please feel free to send us a private message.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2018 Ram 1500. I purchased it brand new 2 years ago. The 2nd day after getting it I noticed a loud humming/roaring noise at various speeds. It's been in the shop numerous times for them to find it. Finally last week, they believed it was the bearings and replaced them. I'm hoping this ends my noise and hope maybe this will give you a place to start in finding yours.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a '12 Ram. Had this problem but was more of a hum. Was told it was wheel bearing. After spending over $600.00 the problem persisted. Got under the front and noticed the left side of the diff darker. Checked the diff fluid level but could not feel. Opened the drain and nothing came out. Dealer said my problem was probably a bearing in the works. Never found out as I traded the truck. Hoped the new buyer got a warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
  1. 2014 RAM 1500 with 91,000 miles... I had growing growling sound over a 1000 mile period in a month, started out barely noticeable, but kept getting worse which turned into bad rear diff bearings. Had it serviced with replacement bearings and Redline 75-140 lube... so far so good... I could hear a difference in the sound if I stepped into the gas, or backed off from high-speed. Mechanic pinned it when he took a quick ride with me... rear gears OK but bearings spalled... rear lube had been changed at 55K miles so should NOT have happened but it did...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I already changed rear bearings. Sound is coming from the front from what I can tell. Mechanic rode with me the other day and he doesn't have a clue. Put new front hub assembly in on the left. Still does it. Next thing is the right side. 🤞

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tires? I had a heck of a time with my ‘11 Ram Sport, with a sound similar to what you describe, especially slowing down to stop. No one could figure it out. Finally I replaced the tires, even though the truck only had about 30,000 miles, and voila, noise was gone and ride improved greatly!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have a 2018 Ram 1500. I purchased it brand new 2 years ago. The 2nd day after getting it I noticed a loud humming/roaring noise at various speeds. It's been in the shop numerous times for them to find it. Finally last week, they believed it was the bearings and replaced them. I'm hoping this ends my noise and hope maybe this will give you a place to start in finding yours.
Hey @Donnabonnett - If you end up needing to address this with your dealer any further, please be sure to let us know via private message. We are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
56 Posts
Growling, esp on turns, is usually the hub. Was on my 2005, both times.
Not sure what else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts