DODGE RAM FORUM banner

401 - 420 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks. One more question. Will a normal auto shop install these if I bought them and brought them to have them installed? I know it may be a simple install on my own, but don't want to mess with it. Thanks!
Depends on the shop, most independent mechanics will for sure, dealers and other chain shops may have policies against installing aftermarket suspension components.

Don't feel bad about not wanting to take them on yourself, it's not a terribly difficult project but there are a lot of areas where things can go wrong and a shop with the proper tools is going to have a much easier, and more importantly, safer, time with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
mbood82,
Thanks for the help.
Found a shop that will do it. Just to verify, all I need to buy is Bilsteins 5100 for front and back (I know they are different) and that is all? Then I just need to determine what height to set the fronts? Are the rears adjustable at all? If yes to the rear being adjustable, If I set hte front at 2.1, then what to set the backs at?

Anything else I am not thinking of?

Thank You! Jared

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
mbood82,
Thanks for the help.
Found a shop that will do it. Just to verify, all I need to buy is Bilsteins 5100 for front and back (I know they are different) and that is all? Then I just need to determine what height to set the fronts? Are the rears adjustable at all? If yes to the rear being adjustable, If I set hte front at 2.1, then what to set the backs at?

Thank You! Jared
Hey Jared.

The rears are not adjustable. You'll have to determine if you want a little rake or completely level by measuring the front height. If you want more lift in the back you can install a short spacer. The rear shock will give you about 2 inches more travel to do that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
mbood82,
Thanks for the help.

Thank You! Jared
As h2oman said, the rears aren't adjustable, they are just normal shocks. Technically if you set the Bils at the full lift height in front it will make the truck suit completely level. You will already have some rake by putting the fronts at only 2.1.

That said, I did the 2.8 and a 1 inch spacer in the back and it still looks pretty level. If you want a rake that is noticeable you may want a spacer still.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2017 Tradesman 2WD 5.7L

I am wondering if Bilstein has a front strut to fit my vehicle. I see them for the 4WD models but nothing for 2WD. TIA

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
I am wondering if Bilstein has a front strut to fit my vehicle. I see them for the 4WD models but nothing for 2WD. TIA
You can put the Bilstein 4600's on that truck. They are excellent shocks.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
I should have been more specific....a shock that will work as a level kit for a 2 WD like the bilstein does for 4 WD
Oh, sorry about that. The answer is no. You'll need to use a spacer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
3inch height difference.

i just bought my first ram. i am looking to level the truck. Just measured my truck. 39 3/16 in back. 36 3/16 in front.

is there any danger in extending Bilstein shocks to full extension?

What can i expect from A arms if i level the front of the truck 3 in?

is a 3 inch difference common? If so why don't they make adjustable shocks to extend to 4.5 inches for a leveling kit.

Im new to truck suspension.

2015 Ram Big Horn 4x4 5.7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just moved up to a sport from a Tradesman after a drunk and drugged up driver took me out. I'm going to level it. I'm going with Bilsteins all around. I like the stock sport wheels and will be putting 35" Nittos or KO2's 35x12.5x20 on them.

I have read through this awesome thread. While I understand most of it, I feel like I am more confused on what to do now lol...

I want a little profile, I'm not sure what spacers to run behind the front tires. Bora 1" or less? No flares are on the truck and I dont want too much of a profile. figure no more than an inch or so. Do I need to use spacers in the back as well. I'm detting the Bilsteins at the highest setting 2.75

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lifting 2010 ram

Had to change front struts and right CV joint/axel so I had a 2.5 leveling kit installed at the time. First time using 4x4 I noticed a vibration from front right. Mechanic said I got a bad axel from manufacture and replaced it under warranty. Picked up my truck and still have a vibration. Mechanic said he's look into it. Called today saying I can't put a 2.5" lift in my truck, changes the CV joint angle too much. Going in Friday to have the lift removed. ANy thoughts would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Had to change front struts and right CV joint/axel so I had a 2.5 leveling kit installed at the time. First time using 4x4 I noticed a vibration from front right. Mechanic said I got a bad axel from manufacture and replaced it under warranty. Picked up my truck and still have a vibration. Mechanic said he's look into it. Called today saying I can't put a 2.5" lift in my truck, changes the CV joint angle too much. Going in Friday to have the lift removed. ANy thoughts would be much appreciated.
Bilsteins.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi All,
I have a quick question about these wheels and tires i would like to put on my truck.
It's a 2017 sport night edition with the black 20" wheels.
I will be installing a set of Bilstein 6112's on the front at either 2.1 or 2.8.
Hopefully the links below will work.

Does anyone see any issues with this set up fitting?

Thanks!

https://www.tirebuyer.com/wheels/deegan-38/568sb-pro-2/p/wv261000381
https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/falken/wildpeak-a-t3w/p/tv093001467
Tire size is not much bigger than the stock 17 inch rim size so even at the 2.1 inch setting on the Bils you should have plenty of tire clearance. The backspacing (offset) on the rim should work out OK, too, from what I can tell. A factory 17x8 inch rim should have about 25mm of positive offset, you are reducing the offset to 10mm, which is offset by the extra half inch of depth the 9 inch rim provides. The end effect should be your tires will be sticking an inch further out with the same effective inside location (relative to the stock 17x8).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tire size is not much bigger than the stock 17 inch rim size so even at the 2.1 inch setting on the Bils you should have plenty of tire clearance. The backspacing (offset) on the rim should work out OK, too, from what I can tell. A factory 17x8 inch rim should have about 25mm of positive offset, you are reducing the offset to 10mm, which is offset by the extra half inch of depth the 9 inch rim provides. The end effect should be your tires will be sticking an inch further out with the same effective inside location (relative to the stock 17x8).
mbood82,
Thank you for the quick response!
:smileup:

The wheels have a hub bore of 108.0
That seems quite a bit larger than the stock.
Any issues there?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
120 Posts
mbood82,

Any issues there?

Thanks again!
Most aftermarket wheels come with wider bores. You can buy a centering ring that should span the gap between your hub and the bore. If you buy them from Tire Rack or the like they usually come with the rings, some other places it's an extra fee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 2016 Ram CC Sport 4x4 and I'm thinking of leveling it with the 5100's. I would love to do a 4" lift but don't have the cash now.

My plan is to set the Bil's at 2.1, use my stock 20" wheels and put on 35X12.50 R20 mud tires from this company with no spacers.

http://www.comforser.ca/mud-tires/

I've heard and read stories that the 35's will rub or won't depending on who you ask, so here's hoping everything works out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
to level or to lift... that is the question

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn with stock rims and am looking to get bigger tires.. I like the 305's. What is the best option to get the smoothest ride for suspension?

I don't want to rub the tires or put undue stress on the truck. Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
mbood82,

Any issues there?

Thanks again!
The hub size is 77.8mm is on a Ram 1500. 78.1mm is a typical hub bore to provide proper clearance for the wheel to hub. I would recommend getting a set of hub rings to properly center your wheel on the hub. Without them it's common to get a wobbling feel at highway speeds and they help reduce stress on the studs.

I've got a 2016 Ram CC Sport 4x4 and I'm thinking of leveling it with the 5100's. I would love to do a 4" lift but don't have the cash now.

My plan is to set the Bil's at 2.1, use my stock 20" wheels and put on 35X12.50 R20 mud tires from this company with no spacers.

http://www.comforser.ca/mud-tires/

I've heard and read stories that the 35's will rub or won't depending on who you ask, so here's hoping everything works out.
You'll be pushing the limit for sure. Some 35x12.5's that actually measure smaller than that can fit on stock wheels with no spacers; most do not. I would recommend getting a set of 10mm hub centric spacers from Motorsport Tech.

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn with stock rims and am looking to get bigger tires.. I like the 305's. What is the best option to get the smoothest ride for suspension?

I don't want to rub the tires or put undue stress on the truck. Any suggestions are welcomed.
On stock wheels you'll want to stick with a 295 tire or narrower if you don't want spacers. A 295/60/20 or 285/60/20 would be a good choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You'll be pushing the limit for sure. Some 35x12.5's that actually measure smaller than that can fit on stock wheels with no spacers; most do not. I would recommend getting a set of 10mm hub centric spacers from Motorsport Tech.
Thanks for the info! Just one quick question, if I go with a 10mm spacer would that leave me enough stud threads to be safe?

401 - 420 of 460 Posts