DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys,

Recently ( last week ) bought a 98 ram 2500 .. I go out and start it up in the morning, let it run for a bit... then when I first start to drive I'm hearing a " gurgle " in under the glove box.. it'll happen a couple times.. and then goes away.. I'm not noticing any prestone smell , or problems with getting heat.. ( other than it takes a while to heat that cast iron baby warmed up !) So, I'm just wondering if the " gurgle " is anything to worry about or a sign something is going wrong.

Thanks guys.

Cheers !

G

·
Sounds like you have some air in the cooling system. Try running the truck at an idle in the driveway, from cold to warm, with the radiator cap off.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Make sure the expansion tank is filled to the proper level. If it's low, as the truck cools off it'll suck air back into the system instead of coolant.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
When it is running & the engine is warm, with the cap is off BURP the top radiator hose, i believe that is what i read some where
I also read that the heater fan does not need to be on

here is a article about burping your system,
http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v2n15.html

·
Registered
97 Posts
my truck does the same thing, would love to know exactly what it is. mine has got worse to where when you pull off it gurgles with rpm kinda. sounds like its going to start leaking from somewhere soon. in for solution:smileup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

I let the engine warm up from cold with the rad cap off... and also topped up the res. (it was down past the low level) and it seemed to fix the problem... at least for the time being... thanks for the tips and the help.

Cheers..

P.S.
RPM seemed to have an affect on mine as well.. but only while it was cold.

:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes i bleed my system also, after first time it got little better then i did it again and it almost all stopped, i mean only does every once in awhile now. i am going to bleed it again hopefully get rest of the air out. THX

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
my 99 sport (318) did that. sorry that i cant help with this cause i sold that ram and built up my 2000, and this one doesnt do it...

·
Registered
709 Posts
One way to bleed the system easier is drill a 1/8" hole on the thermostat. I've done this and its easier getting air out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts