DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know I got rid of my headache last month. This week I finally get some action from the County and my HOA on my saga.

It all boiled down to the GVWR. The State says one figure, the County another, the HOA another and the EZ Pass folks yet another. None of them singing on the same sheet of music either. All have big differences in what a truck is and the GVWR applied to them. When over 12K in the County's eye's it then becomes a Commercial Truck. You don't even have to use it commercially for it to be labeled commercial.

They even got weight enforcement on the case. Those no truck signs and weight check points not only were they meant for those big commercial trucks, I was tossed in that for good measure also.

There is a whole lot of gray area here too! Weight enforcement says legally I’m supposed to stop at weight check stations too if someone really wanted to press the seam on the envelope. That traffic stop could have netted me a giant size ticket as well!

So why did I have truck plates on my truck? Also more gray area to contend with! Here’s the 5 second snap shot! The GVWR does mean something! So let’s say I had the passenger car plates on my truck. Never mind the body theory. We all know it’s a truck body! We’re not blind! Passenger plates are stating that you have a GVWR of less than 10K to the State and less than 7.5K to the County. Hum? What? I’m say the same thing! OK, with that said, I decide to load up the dually with myself and 4 passengers and stuff. In order to be legal I need to keep that under the 10K or 7.5K GVWR otherwise I’m overloaded depending on what road I’m on. So along come the truck plates that say hey I’m rated for at least 10K & 7.5K GVWR. And with that my registration says I can have a GVWR of up to 14K and not be overloaded. Haul on? Not so fast now! Meaning I can pull my toys, haul my family and gear and be legal but I need to keep that all under the 14K GVWR marker. I also have to stop at those pesky weight check stations to check those figures too so that I’m not tearing up the roads! Holy crap! Yep, according to the weight enforcement guys! I have truck tags! Now comes the gray matter! Legally I’m supposed to stop at those check points, keep off those roads that say no trucks. Again according to the weight guys. But they claim they are not looking to fry me up just the big guys for being over loaded! If someone wanted to, I could be lit up for not following the rules.

Ok now why the 10K and the 7.5K GVWR difference. The County wrote up those rules to keep people like me off its no truck roads as the County has to maintain those roads and not the State! The heavy stuff like me tears stuff up and costs them money! Really, no crap!! What are my tax dollars being used for then? A question for another day!! The rules are also open for HOA’s to use them as well to again keep me off its roads as well, as those are private roads maintained by the HOA. What about my HOA fees then?

The county says they cannot write me a ticket for parking on HOA property, but the HOA can have my vehicle towed at my expense for doing so!

I was also told as a goodwill gesture and in the spirit of being a good citizen of Fairfax County I would not be a moving target. Hum… I have the email and name and badge number to whip out when that happens!

Was I screwed? You bet I was! I was sitting at 14K GVWR according to my registration! Well depending on the coffers for that day!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Buy a camper shell and get custom plates. With a camper shell installed you can tell DMV that your truck is not for commercial use (no commercial fees), and custom plates help to conceal the fact that you are not paying commercial vehicle fees when you drive around without the shell on your truck. But if you get caught, then you get dinged with back/late fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Class A motor homes weighing 36,000 lbs. travel on State, County and Federal roads and never have to be weighed at truck weighing stations.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
A homeowners association....can tow, that is remove from your property, your truck, also your property, without your consent?

I have a feeling that would not stand up to scrutiny in court.

Not surprising that onerous and burdensome rules like this would come out of NoVA unfortunately, police state that it is. They even have the appropriately named "state police" just like the Kremlin did

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
I came mighty close but Thank god I didn't get another dually truck this time around. :i_rolleyes:

My current SRW truck had to be registered 'commercial' due to its +9,999# GVWR but NOT being a dually works out wonderfully in my area. I mix in very nicely with all the snazzy F-150's and 1500 sport trucks. ;)
Blowing past a state truck scale stop doesn't even draw a glance from the chase-cop. A dually would certainly get me 'busted'.

CBR Dude,
I feel your pain. Seems you want to be legal & courteous but are getting hammered regardless. :4-dontknow:
Hope it works out,
-Ej-

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Not to call anybody out on this but <ahem> to some here <cough-cough> No thread regardless of age or topic is safe from being rehashed, derailed, or commented on.
:LOL:
:bananalama:

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts