1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliff Notes at the Bottom

Hello Everyone:
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 V8, 88385 Miles got it at 64K Miles in 2009

For the Last Six month i was slowing down and noticed that my steering wheel got hard while slowing down coming to a stop. I would hit the break Put the car in Park, turn off the Truck (So i thought) and turn on again and off I went. It happened about 3 times.. I had enough and took it to Dodge..I explained to them that my steering would get hard coming to a stop and that I would have to hit break, stop and start the car again.. They told me that this was caused by steering Pump needed replacing so i said do it.
120 for Diagnosis, 4 hours for labor and an aftermarket pump for a total of $640.00 problem fixed so i though..(12/13/11)

On 1/13/12 a month later i was driving coming to a stop no AC ON, no Radio nothing as drive in the AM..and my steering got hard and my A/C Died.. I had stalled.. This is when I realized i had stalling ISSUE all along not a Power Steering Issue..I put the Truck on ParK refired the truck and off I went..I lost 640 to replace a power steering pump that was probably FIne..

(2/13/11) I parked my car on my driveway everyday and my dad told me that he has been noticing leaks under my Truck..sure enough its Power Steering Fluid..I called Dodge they said the repair is under warranty for a year or 12k miles and I am taking it friday..My question is shoud I mentioned that I described the problem wrong when i brought it to them and my car was stalling thus resulting in a loss of steering ( I am sure any mechanic would ask if the car stalled but they didnt nor did mentioned stalling) I just dont want to pay for another 120 for a diagnosis of a stalling issue. I did alot of research since and found out these trucks and durangos stall alot, many have replaced the GSR and stalling has stop..I think I got my point across..Thanks!

Cliffs:
12/13/11:While slowing down coming to a stop my power steering will get hard (Truck Was most likely stalling I though it was the steering)
Took the truck to Doge they Replaced Power Steeting Pump
1/13/12: A month later Truck Stalls; truck had stalling issue all along im mad for diagnosing it wrong
2/13/12 Leaks under Truck have been found..Its the Power Steering Pump
2/17/12 Taking truck to dodge to Fix the Leak( Warranty from Pump Work) Should I mentioned the Stalling most likely I will Pay for Diagnosis again. I dont want to pay, I have re-searched it most likely GSR Dirty Gas Lines

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To give you an Update. The aftermarket pump they installed was faulty which was causing the leak. i got a replacement..

Tuesday morning with a tank full I approached a red light and it stalled. All 5-6 times that I have stalled have been when slowing down to break at a light or stop sign...all times after filling the tank the previous day or very close to it..

Today after Leaving Sacramento on the I-5 South @70 MPH. I ran over a piece of iron/metal that i did not see and got a 3 inch slice on my front left tire the ( CHP thanked for clearing the road..LOL)... my previous tires were dry rotting therefore I got new tires2,000 miles ago..i have spent about $2,000 on ,my ram since December in new tires and a new steering pump but i still have a stalling problem.. I have lots of info on stalling for 04-05 rams and even durangos. i will try and get to the bottom of this, just though i share for all of you that read my post... I don't want to get rid of my ram all but these inconveniences are not helping.. have good day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts