DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the amount of driving I do now, I've had to trade the Express for something more practical and economical. Kinda sad but that is reality. The 2012 Civic coupe I bought is rated at 39 Hwy and the trip computer was showing an average of 37.2 for the last tank of gas. The Express was averaging 16-17 and it was killing me on gas.

Anyway, considering that you can buy the truck I have for 19500.00, the 18K trade value was pretty decent. Some dealers offered as low as 16K which is ridiculous. Dodge is really aggressive with incentives right now whish really hurts trade value, but if mileage isn't a concern, they are smoking deals. The dealer said he was going to keep it and retail it since Ford and Chevy don't have anything within 8000.00 of it.

I'm keeping the beg rug out of it, so if anyone wants to buy it, PM me. I'd post it in the for sale forum but it won't let me...

·
Registered
555 Posts
wow only $18,000 for a 2012, sounds like the dealer got a deal.

i just got $11,000 for a 2006 with 115,000 miles on it

·
Registered
12 Posts
God I wish I lived in America. Those prices are insane!

And yeah, according to my Uncle (works at a dealership) Dodge apparently started closing the gap on Ford so they're really pricing them to move to overtake the oval.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow only $18,000 for a 2012, sounds like the dealer got a deal.

i just got $11,000 for a 2006 with 115,000 miles on it
Well, you can buy that truck brand new for 19500.00 so the dealer really couldn't pay any more for it or they would never make any profit. They just price them by what they bring at the auction. Your dealer might have showed you 11,000 but probably booked it at something less.

·
Registered
555 Posts
must have been a 2wd reg cab ?

Up North here 2wd's & even regular cabs @ my dealer are special orders. Cheapest trucks on the lots are 4wd's quad cabs.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Sorry to hear that you got rid of your truck...Good luck with the Civic....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
must have been a 2wd reg cab ?

Up North here 2wd's & even regular cabs @ my dealer are special orders. Cheapest trucks on the lots are 4wd's quad cabs.
yep, 2wd, reg cab. they sell a ton of them in the south because there is really no need for 4wd unless you live on a farm.

For the 90% interstate driving I do around Atlanta, the Civic is a good choice, but I'll miss the truck on occasions. The way the arithmetic works out though, the gas cost savings will literally pay the monthly payment on the Civic.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Thats too bad about selling your truck. I just ordered one. I know the gas mileage is garbage, but I need a truck to tow our travel trailer. And if I do too much driving I could always take the wife's Mazda 5. Its 4 cylinder so gas mileage is great.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Bummer about the truck but the Civic is a fine car for simply driving alot. I have a Corolla that is actually my main driving car so I understand what you're going through. If not for the Corolla, I would go broke driving my truck all the time

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
So I think shipping would kill the deal but what do you want for the bed rug? Is it for the 6.5' bed?

·
Registered
698 Posts
2WD reg cab trucks are fairly popular here in Texas too. Price point and simplicity are two virtues still sought after in many purchase situations where a truck is needed/wanted. Another issue is that dealers often need several 2WD reg cabs on the lot for their advertising examples. Getting prospective customers down to the lot to see this pickup that actually costs under $20K will often result in a sale of a much higher equipped and priced pickup.

Yeah, on that $11K '06 trade-in, I'd love to see the dealer paperwork on what the actual dealer costs/prices on everything really came down to. When the sticker on just my modestly equipped '12 Express 2WD/reg cab was nearly $27K, but it was sold outright with no trade for $20.2K, that shows an amazing markup and bargaining margin built in. Can you imagine what the margin is for a pickup that stickers in the $35K or higher bracket? A dealer can make a trade look somewhat amazing with the right deal.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
yep, 2wd, reg cab. they sell a ton of them in the south because there is really no need for 4wd unless you live on a farm.
I disagree respectfully of course on this statement. Maybe in ATL there isn't a need for 4x4 but in the mountains of GA and a good lot of Suburban terrain in the south, 4x4 is used a lot. Just my 2 cents. good luck with ur honda.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm waiting for warmer temps. Then I will be driving my bike to work and any other time I can.
My bike uses about 1/3 as much gas as my truck.
Right now it is still around the freezing mark when I leave for work.
I'm good to go at about 5 degrees C.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Wow, I'm a sissy! I wont ride my bike under about 45F :)

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^damn what bike do you have? lol. My bike gets like 55-60mpg, that's triple to quadruple what my truck gets. I save a lot of money riding it to and from work every day, and I can ride year round as it never really gets cold here. Plus it's an absolute blast to ride :)

We've been driving the wife's aveo much more than the ram lately, for the same reasons (mpg).

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm waiting for warmer temps. Then I will be driving my bike to work and any other time I can.
My bike uses about 1/3 as much gas as my truck.
Right now it is still around the freezing mark when I leave for work.
I'm good to go at about 5 degrees C.

You and me both !
1984 Interstate Old, comfortable, not too fast and an enjoyable experience - just like old folks like it !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts