DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and searched for the last two weeks trying to get ideas on how to mount my 2m/70CM(VHF/UHF) Mobile ham radio antenna. I have drove fords for years( you can see my f250 in some of the pictures) and know fords pretty well but have no clue how mopars compare as far as accessing the cab from the outside, etc. After pulling ideas from other trucks and forums I figured I would Put together a quick How to for any one else looking to do a very clean CB radio or mobile HAM Antenna installation.

I decided since I have a folding metal bed cover that leaves the stake pockets open that i would install the 55 inch Antenna in the stake pocket.

There's only a few companies that sell these and the only one that is reasonably priced is the Firestik SS-294A. This is a nice little mount that sandwiches its self on the out side and inside of the Pocket.

I had to custom fab a antenna mount for My Comet SSB-7 Antenna to mount to but for you CB guys it already comes with a standard CB Stud. There's plenty of room inside the pocket to run the Coax antenna cable and it easily will fit through the holes already in the pocket.

Next comes getting the cable into the cab which was harder than i figured it would be. Under the passenger side rear door remove the middle plastic drain plug from the under side of the cab. take apart the door still at the rear right door and pull the carpet back so you can see the metal floor. Take a 2 inch hole saw and drill a hole in the middle of the channel. I will add pictures of this later when i run the other cables for my cb and scanner.

Next i pulled the coax down under the trim panels to the radio which I installed between the front cup holders and the Center Console/ jumper seat. The other cables you see is my cell phone charger and the aux cable for my iphone. The Radio is the Kenwood TM-V71A. It is a 50watt vhf/uhf Transceiver and requires a FCC amateur licenses to purchase. I pulled power for the radio from the 12v power drop for the center console power point.

I then tightened the antenna down on the mount and thats it. A nice clean installation. the Kenwood does have a removable face that can be remotely mounted but i saw no point having room for the whole rig. And yes you can still get in the bottom console. the microphone is mounted on the dash under the passenger air vent.
here are some more pictures of the install. I will be adding more when i do the other side for the CB and scanner.

2003 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Hemi
- 2 kicker Comp vr 10s in custom underseat enclosure
- Jl Audio C2 Comps in doors and dash
- Alpine 5Ch system amp
- Factory RAZ Radio with ipod adapter
-Positive traction rear-end(eats tires!)
-K&N CAI
-Factory exhaust with cat and resonator delete
-Diablo programmer
-50watt Mobile Kenwood 2m/70cm ham

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
VERY NICE. thanks for that. In my last ram, 99, I ran my cable down between my cab and bed, then into the cab through the mount for tire changing tools, its just removing the bolt.

Now I just ran them through my back doors near the window, down the trim inside and coil the excess under drivers and passenger seat.

Welcome to the forum btw.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah man it looks good. I've wanted to put my CB in my truck for a while, I just can't seem to figure out how to make it work without leaving a lot of screw holes. I've thought about removing the little grey flap behind the flip-down cupholders and putting it in that empty space. Running the wire in the cab was the other problem I had to work out.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I agree, don't like drilling unless its a must.

My first truck was a 93 reg cab GMC, I ran my cables up through the 4wd shifter. There's a ton of places to run cables, just gotta get creative and make it happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts