DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 ram 1500 4x4 that shifts with a bang between 2nd and 3rd. It doesn't do it all the time. As I accelerate the shift from 1st to 2nd is barely noticable. Then as it revs to about 2000 rpm it holds in 2nd and sometimes slams into 3rd with a bang. If I'm accelerating quickly it usually shifts smoothly into 3rd. Any ideas?

I changed the trans fluild and filter recently but wasn't smart enough to have the bands adjusted or other components checked, The truck is new to me with 118,000 miles.

I doubt this is normal but have no idea what is wrong, if anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RedRam10!

I found a thread on another forum that has a lot of information on 2nd generation Dodge transmissions. Mines the 46re. From that, I suspect it may be an adjustment issue of the tv cable and/or the tps (throttle position sensor). My plan is to start there and add a bottle of Smart Blend red. If that doesn't do the trick I'll move on the to some of the internals.

Since its running OK, I'm going to chance doing the adjustments only until I get several other projects off my plate and more cash in my jeans.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts