DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just got my '12 Big Horn crew cab yesterday.....

Looking into options for a way to make the bed a secure area.

Considering caps and hard bed covers.....

First one I looked at on autoanything's site was the Ranch Sport Wrap.

Under $1,000 and it comes prepainted! Locable etc.

Anyone have any experience with this brand or others?

I havent shopped for caps in years, so not sure what is available.....

I dont often haul stuff that would require the height of a cap and I am thinking the hard cover will be perfect, but open to all suggestions....

Thanks all!

·
Registered
487 Posts
On my last truck I installed a Bakflip G2. It's well designed, strong, waterproof, secure, easy to open, easy to remove if needed. A coat of wax a couple of times a year keeps it looking like new. This time I'm going to get the F1 as it has a harder surface (think hail). I'm also going to put a tailgate gasket on as well to help keep some of the dust out (didn't do that last time but should have).

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have ran a Ranch fiberglass cover before on my older truck and it did great. If your looking for cheap but still built up to par with the rest then Ranch is the way to go. I am currently running a Leer cover and the only major difference between the two is price, Leer comes with more standard options like carpet on the inside, and has a better mounting system IMO.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My Dad had a Ranch Sport Wrap years ago on his Dakota. It looked great from what I can remember. I asked him about it recently since I just picked up my Ram and he said he never had any issues with it. I should get my Ranch Elite/Premiere cap in 1.5 to 2 weeks. I bought Ranch for a couple of reasons:

1. A local dealer in my area that has been around for a long time sells them.

2. From what I have read and seen their quality matches Leer and ARE and they are a bit cheaper.

My cap ran me 2K tax in equipped with a drop down front slider and keyless entry and installed. Cap alone was $1545. I am in Canada (eh) so a US price should be a little cheaper.

I need a cap to be able to secure a little more payload than can fit under a tonneau cover when camping and travelling. Plus I also have a dog and he is NOT riding in the cab.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a ReTrax on my 2011, and I love it. I always had the fiberglass covers on my previous trucks, but it was a PIA if you had to carry something that went above the bed rails. Now I just roll the cover back and I have full use of my bed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have a ReTrax on my 2011, and I love it. I always had the fiberglass covers on my previous trucks, but it was a PIA if you had to carry something that went above the bed rails. Now I just roll the cover back and I have full use of my bed.
That's what I don't like about the single piece covers as well. They look great but if you're away from home and find yourself unexpectedly wanting to buy something large you've got a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ordered a BakFlip Fibermax and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on Mon/Tues to install it. I like the versatility that it folds so you can have a secure, weatherproof bed but modularly open it up if you need to haul large items in the bed. I too have ordered a bed seal for the tailgate so that it prevents dust or moisture from entering. I will post pics and some commentary on product install and quality once I have it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bakflip cover

I just ordered a BakFlip Fibermax and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on Mon/Tues to install it. I like the versatility that it folds so you can have a secure, weatherproof bed but modularly open it up if you need to haul large items in the bed. I too have ordered a bed seal for the tailgate so that it prevents dust or moisture from entering. I will post pics and some commentary on product install and quality once I have it.
You will love the Fibermax. I put one on my truck and its great. The installation instructions are for the 5'7"shortbed 3 panel, so if you have that it'll be a breeze. If you have the longer 6'4" bed 4 panel the instructions only apply in a general sort of way, but its not hard to figure out the differences. Where did you get the tailgate seal? I think I need one of those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an undercover smooth painted,looks good,and it weighs a little over 50 lbs,so my wife and i can take it off in about one minute and hang it in the garage with the supplied hooks that comes with it.I had a soft cover on my dakota and was ok,but didn;t like the looks of a black cover on white truck.this is a great cover

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the idea of the bakflip but read somewhere they can be opend by a would be thief with a coat hanger? I think the painted fiberglass deals LOOK slicker but agree the issue of being away and wanting to carry "more" is on my mind.

I saw in another thread someone talking about the Extang Encore.....looks good and secure, and has a lock up front as well so you can access the FRONT versus the back...

Its pricey at $900.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have ran a Ranch fiberglass cover before on my older truck and it did great. If your looking for cheap but still built up to par with the rest then Ranch is the way to go. I am currently running a Leer cover and the only major difference between the two is price, Leer comes with more standard options like carpet on the inside, and has a better mounting system IMO.

That REALLY looks sharp!

·
Registered
59 Posts
RetraxPro

I have the Retraxpro. If you got to the factory website http://www.retrax.com/ and call their 800 number they will give you a discount that will make it cheaper then any other retailer that carries it, plus you can get the tailgate seal direct from them too. I haven't even seen it on my truck yet!:sad: I'm deployed so i ordered it and had my brother put it on for me. He says it looks great and opens and closes really easily. I don't mind the gloss black color either. When i get home i plan on adding some gloss black hood spears and maybe some kind of graphics on the sides in gloss blak also just to tie in the cover with the truck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts