DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last guy that owned the truck and did the oil change took it in to a mom and pop oil change spot and they put is Havoline 5w-20 and a no name oil filter? So I am ready to change the oil now and was thinking of taking it back to them since I loved the way the truck felt, but I am not going to drive 2 hours to get a change. So I am deciding to not use the Havoline since I have to order it from Walmart since none of my local AutoParts store does not carry it.

I am now debating whether I want to go with, I want to make the right decision!

Option #1 Castrol GTX 5w-20 and a Mopar Filter
Option #2 Castol GTX 5w-20 and a WIX Filter

Vehicle is a 2010 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4 w/ 3.92 axle ratio.

Or if there is a better oil and oil filter combo that I dont know of, Help! :hlp:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well,
dipend on how much miles/Km the engine made and how much oil she eats.
Most loved in the states seem to be:
Red Purple, Amsoil and Red Line 5W30 synthetic and Roal Purple or WIX filters
Then the top tier 5W30 synthetic oils: M1, Penzoil Ultra Platinium, Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Edge
I just changed to Castrol Edge (Black Bottle) and all seems to be fine
For mineral oil i would use Castrol Magnatec as it seems that it works very well.
If your engine is high milage and burning a lot of oil you may need High Milage oil to avoid oil leaks everywhere.
Chris

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If you are not burning any oil then I would not worry about high mileage oil. I had a Jeep with the 4.0 6 cylinder in it and at over 150,000 miles I was still not burning any oil so just used Penzoil Platinum. They say that you have to use 5W20 in these engines or the MDS system will malfunction. I run Penzoil Platinum 5W20 with a NAPA Gold filter number 7899 which is over sized.

·
Super Moderator
34,461 Posts
Yeah most oils are all pretty good anymore. I am not a fan of Castrol, but either the Mopar or Wix filter is a quality unit.

Dad's 2009 Ram doesn't burn oil at 110,000 miles. I do not consider a vehicle to be high mileage until it is over 200,000 miles, and any modern engine should make 300,000 miles before a rebuild depending on usage

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are not burning any oil then I would not worry about high mileage oil. I had a Jeep with the 4.0 6 cylinder in it and at over 150,000 miles I was still not burning any oil so just used Penzoil Platinum. They say that you have to use 5W20 in these engines or the MDS system will malfunction. I run Penzoil Platinum 5W20 with a NAPA Gold filter number 7899 which is over sized.
Thank you for your opinion and your service. I see we share alot; I have a Copper RAM as well, and am also in Michigan....near Selfridge. I opened a thread elsewhere, with the same question re: what to use. I'll take your advice and run with it. BB

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Thank you for your opinion and your service. I see we share alot; I have a Copper RAM as well, and am also in Michigan....near Selfridge. I opened a thread elsewhere, with the same question re: what to use. I'll take your advice and run with it. BB

I get down to Selfridge about once a month to the commissary/BX. What year is your truck? I have used this oil and filter in all my trucks and never had a problem (admittedly I have not put a lot of miles on any one of my trucks, maybe 40,000 max) but all my oil reports come back really good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i finnaly decided to go with the Penzoil Ultra Platinum with a Royal Purple Oil Filter. Im gonna have to give it a whirl. I chose royal purple filter instead because it said it has a higher change interval. The mopar didnt say that and i dont want to have a clogged Filter. But what do you guys think?

Before this post i was putting Penzoil Synthetic Blend with a Mopar filter i like it but i wanted to go full synthetic now and do the changes MYSELF Now!

BTW Penzoil Ultra Platinum was $24 for 5qt jug on walmart website, i just hope they send me the right thing! 🤣

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been using Castrol Edge full synthetic in both my Ram and my '06 Charger since new. The Charger is my daily commuter and has 226,000 miles on it, still purrs like a kitten. The Ram only has 140,000 on it, a lot of that towing a roughly 8,000 lb TT, no complaints from me with Castrol.

·
Premium Member
32,659 Posts
You can use any name brand 5w-20 motor oil & name brand oil filter

When the 2009 & 2010 Dodge Rams left the Warren Michigan Assembly Plant, it had Mobile 1 5w-20 motor oil & Mopar branded Wix 57899 oil filter, Mopar # was MO-899

1 - 12 of 12 Posts