DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Just picked up our new 2019 Laramie Blackout edition, yesterday. Gorgeous truck! The 12” Uconnect screen is nothing short of awesome.

Also opted for the 19 speaker HK sound system. Had the Alpine system in our 2013. That system sounded great.

This new system, that you’d think would sound even better, sucks imho. There is very little bass response. Everything sounds tinny and weak. Doesn’t matter what the source. Even wife agreed it sounds poor, and she’s not even into sound systems.

My question is, do these new systems come with a sub, or not? Sure sounds like it doesn’t. Looked under the rear seat, where the enclosure for our 2013 Ram has its sub, and there’s nothing there.

Anyone else opt for the HK system, and find it lacking?? Is there a sub hidden somewhere other than under the rear seat? Seems absolutely crazy to have a newly redesigned top of the line system, and NOT include a sub...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alpine Sub

I have the alpine system in my Laramie which I was under the impression had a sub, but I have yet to find it. Its definitely not under the seat. I was thinking if there is one it must be behind the seat back.

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,436 Posts
The HK has the 10" sub and Alpine still incorporates a 8" under the pass rear. Word on the street is the Alpine is more refined, cheaper, easily integrated. \\

19 F*ckin speakers in less than 100 sq. ft is absurd. They are also noticing variation in the HK based on source, AM/FM vs Bluetooth/CD or XM.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've had HK systems blow this out the dang water. My wife's small C Class system blows this out the water. Good thing I don't really care for very loud music anymore, but I would be pissed if I did. I found turning surround sound off made it sound a bit louder. I didn't mess with the EQ yet, because I'm fine with the sound as is and have even put it back on surround sound.

I heard there is a sub behind the rear seat. Have you counted 19 speakers? Are those small things in the roof speakers? They run from front/back along the outside edges. If they are, then I count 17 speakers..........and then how many are behind the seat. Unless there are two speakers in one "grill" someplace.

But I do agree.......the system isn't great. Luckily it sounds really clear and it's fine for my 46 year old Army tininitus ears ...............but if I were 36 or even 26 (my loud music days)...........I'd be like "WT" is wrong with this system? I'm not even sure what volume 1-15 is for .........it's sooooooo low and it's as if it's increasing volume in 1/4 increments.

I can see it being tuned for Country music like someone said above ............I'm a musician......blues/guitar and maybe that's why the stereo is just fine for me........blues/jazz sound great out of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses! I wish I would’ve read that article on how this over priced Harmon Kardon system was tuned for country music. I would’nt have purchased it

Just my own personal taste but, I can’t stand country music! Hard rock for me, and this system is all treble. No bottom end at all. That just doesn’t work with rock.

Guess there’s really a tear in my beer now. ????????

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the alpine system in my Laramie which I was under the impression had a sub, but I have yet to find it. Its definitely not under the seat. I was thinking if there is one it must be behind the seat back.
The sub is behind the back seat on the passenger side. there's a piece of trim hiding it out of sight.

·
Registered
2014 8 Speed Hemi 3.92
1,436 Posts
The alpine still needs help under 60Hz, which is why most upgraded to an external amp/sub/enclosure. This is still easily feasible with the HK using a line-out converter, but will unfortunately follow any OEM crossovers if not a full range signal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! Just picked up our new 2019 Laramie Blackout edition, yesterday. Gorgeous truck! The 12” Uconnect screen is nothing short of awesome.

Also opted for the 19 speaker HK sound system. Had the Alpine system in our 2013. That system sounded great.

This new system, that you’d think would sound even better, sucks imho. There is very little bass response. Everything sounds tinny and weak. Doesn’t matter what the source. Even wife agreed it sounds poor, and she’s not even into sound systems.

My question is, do these new systems come with a sub, or not? Sure sounds like it doesn’t. Looked under the rear seat, where the enclosure for our 2013 Ram has its sub, and there’s nothing there.

Anyone else opt for the HK system, and find it lacking?? Is there a sub hidden somewhere other than under the rear seat? Seems absolutely crazy to have a newly redesigned top of the line system, and NOT include a sub...
Just received my maxxed out Long Horn with the KH sound and it is EXTREMELY weak! The Big Horn I was using until mine came in with the Alpine system ROCKED! KH is well balanced, but lacking in POWER!!!! Hoping I can boost system and the speakers hold up. Gonna be a long five years until I order another new RAM.....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Edit: never mind, I just read the bulletin and it's not for the issue we're mentioning.

There is a service bulletin dated July 4 2018 Radio Enhancements #08-091-18.

I'm really not sure what that's all about. Got the info on another site. Maybe/maybe not for the volume of the radio......but surely has to be something to "enhance" something on the radio.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the Alpine system. Sounds good to me, but I am not an audiophile, and I listen to AM or Podcasts half the time anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So would it be possible to order the 12" screen/radio with no speakers and then put in your own?
If the system needs to be beefed up it would be a shame to pay for all those speakers and just replace them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You got the better sounding system. I miss my Alpine system. This HK one sucks.
Oh. I thought the HK was better since it costs more. Assuming the higher price is for the extra speakers then?
You and me both! I was reading on a different forum people complaining that this new HK system had TOO MUCH bass?!?! Now, I’m starting to wonder if maybe my system just isn’t working right? There’s supposedly a 10” sub somewhere in the truck. There’s nothing under my rear seat. No idea where this sub supposedly is. Perhaps mine never got installed. That certainly would explain things...

·
Registered
93 Posts
You and me both! I was reading on a different forum people complaining that this new HK system had TOO MUCH bass?!?! Now, I’m starting to wonder if maybe my system just isn’t working right? There’s supposedly a 10” sub somewhere in the truck. There’s nothing under my rear seat. No idea where this sub supposedly is. Perhaps mine never got installed. That certainly would explain things...
I already said this earlier, but I'll reiterate. Your subwoofer is BEHIND your back seat on the passenger side. there is a piece of carpeted trim that keeps it out of sight.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’m enjoying my HK system, it’s not deep enough for my liking but the mids and highs sound nice I’m sure when I supplement a real sub in there I will be happier.
Play with the EQ and speed sensitivity and you’ll be alright.

I bought my wife a 2018 wrangler JL with the alpine system and that thing ROCKS! Best stock sound system I’ve heard in a long time...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts