DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
the alpine in my 2018 blows this out of the water. don't know where the 900 watts is hiding in the H\K system, but it is hiding and needs to come out. lol I hate this system compared to the alpine and if ram came to me and offered to switch it out i would jump all over it.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Dont feel bad guys, the 18 sport i just bought, which replaced my 14 sport, the 14 had the alpine system w/sub. The 18 is the identical truck to my 14, but the 8.4 panasonic radio is just awful. No power, weak bass, and it DOES have the 10" sub under the rear passengers seat. My 14 sport alpine system would give you HARD POUNDING kidney shots! My 18 sport will just give you, nothing. So sad to pay more, and actually, get less.

The 2019 trucks have the sub BEHIND the passengers rear seat. Hard to see it, but if equipped, its there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My installer says the speakers benefit from being replaced. They are 4 ohms. Match that and you will be fine. Brighter and better but not louder with the stock amp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HK Subwoofer

Thought I would add this to give more insight on the location of the subwoofer. I read on another forum that to access the sub you need to pull a looped string that is behind the passenger side (right) rear seat to release the back of the seat and then it will tilt forward. The string loop is up high and near the middle of the seat back. If you recline the seat and pull down the center console it is easier to locate the release string from the middle of the two seat backs. When this is done you can see the subwoofer mounted to the rear wall of the cab. It is mounted vertically and is pretty thin. Someone said to fill the gaps around the subwoofer with batting material, like my wife uses in pillows. I haven't tried this yet but again, someone said he had and that it improves bass response and output. Sounds a bit bizarre but its worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does anyone know the size in cubic feet of the stock HK 10" sub enclosure? Like can it be repurposed with a amp and aftermarket sub?

Thought I would add this to give more insight on the location of the subwoofer. I read on another forum that to access the sub you need to pull a looped string that is behind the passenger side (right) rear seat to release the back of the seat and then it will tilt forward. The string loop is up high and near the middle of the seat back. If you recline the seat and pull down the center console it is easier to locate the release string from the middle of the two seat backs. When this is done you can see the subwoofer mounted to the rear wall of the cab. It is mounted vertically and is pretty thin. Someone said to fill the gaps around the subwoofer with batting material, like my wife uses in pillows. I haven't tried this yet but again, someone said he had and that it improves bass response and output. Sounds a bit bizarre but its worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Those strings you were referring to are baby seat latch seat belt holders

They do not manually release the back seat backs

·
Registered
24 Posts

You are looking at the wrong thing! Those are STRAPS, the looped string is behind the seat. Pull this string while pulling the top of the seat back forward and you will release the latch that holds the seat back in place. Not to tough if you find the STRING.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Appreciated. Is there any links to a pic of said string ?

What color is the string ?

I can’t wait to see the HK sub box to see what I will be replacing or working with.

You are looking at the wrong thing! Those are STRAPS, the looped string is behind the seat. Pull this string while pulling the top of the seat back forward and you will release the latch that holds the seat back in place. Not to tough if you find the STRING.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I can’t wait to see the HK sub box to see what I will be replacing or working with.
The string is black and I had to feel around to get my hands on it, but it is definitely there on both seat backs. Pull on the loop to release the latch. I am going to add an extension so I don't have to search for this thing again. Even the dealer did not know about this!

·
Registered
150 Posts
So I found the string!

This was super helpful in me figuring out that I cannot work with the stock sub enclosure or space.

I am having a box made .85 cu ft for a JL 12”!

Pics to follow next week

The string is black and I had to feel around to get my hands on it, but it is definitely there on both seat backs. Pull on the loop to release the latch. I am going to add an extension so I don't have to search for this thing again. Even the dealer did not know about this!

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Alpine Sub

I have the alpine system in my Laramie which I was under the impression had a sub, but I have yet to find it. Its definitely not under the seat. I was thinking if there is one it must be behind the seat back.
its behind the passenger rear seat not on the floor anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
People, There is a TSB from what I read on this site. The issue is not enough power going to the HK AMP!!!! Mine sounds fantastic, best sound ever. I had the Apine, not even close. This system ROCKS!!!! just go to the dealership and get it fixed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
People, There is a TSB from what I read on this site. The issue is not enough power going to the HK AMP!!!! Mine sounds fantastic, best sound ever. I had the Apine, not even close. This system ROCKS!!!! just go to the dealership and get it fixed.
Is this a recent TSB?

·
Registered
24 Posts
HK Subwoofer

Update: As bizarre as it sounds, I just installed the batting material around the subwoofer "gaps, filling them or stuffing the gaps while being careful not to place material over the face of the subwoofer and what a difference this made. My bass is 10X better than it was without the batting. This was so simple I thought it was a phony solution. The volume control can actually be turned down a level or two and still deliver great response. I have hearing loss and this has been a welcome change. Wow, sometimes the simplest things make a big difference! Thanks to the gentleman who suggested this fix!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used to have a 2016 Laramie with the subwoofer in the back seat and it thumped. Just got the same 2019 as you did and after tweaking the EQ a bit, to me it sounds on par with my 16'. In fact I couldn't get a song up past 32 or so because of how loud it was - but mirrors shook and sounds were great. Maybe it was the source of the audio you were using?

My take on quality from lowest to highest in sound is Sirius/XM, Radio, Radio HD, Bluetooth from phone... with that being so much better than all the rest. I find myself not wanting to play the other sources for that reason alone.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts