DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Does anyone use surround mode?
2. What are best or preferred equalizer settings?
3. Do you notice that the instruments sound louder than the vocals?
4. Any fix for #3 above?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I test drove a 19 Limited with the HK system and I immediately noticed how bad the system sounded especially while using XM. I will be ordering a new Limited with the Alpine system, it plain crushes the HK as far as power. Well at least the one in my 15 Limited does and I have not heard a new Alpine but I'm guessing nothing has changed. I'm hoping there may be an update for the HK system that helps it, I feel for the guys that spent an extra 1000 for a system that sounds as it does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One important factor is recognizing that a premier sound system does not augment the quality of music, it represents it accurately. Sources such as radio and even satellite will not sound good if they are low quality. Listen to the HK system with 320 kbps slacker and you will hear the accuracy and clarity. That said, the HK system has the following deficits:

1. Needs amplification
2. Better sub and bass input should be reduced
3. Vocals are not strong enough, outweighed by instrumentation.
4. Volume setting are to granular, have to hit 25-35 most of time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the surroundsound better than the standard with
instrumental jazz, on my HK. Plenty of volume and bass for me great clarity.
Must admit the Alpine rocks much better.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use surround, although it's louder "off" of surround

I'll say this.........I've have much much better systems. I say better because they were much much louder. To me, this system doesn't even wake up until u turn the volume up about 1/2 way and that's crazy. 1/2 way, it's not even loud.

Having said that..........I'm happy with it and it's just fine for my listening pleasure. Maybe because I no longer really play music extremely loud. I am a blues/jazz guitar player and it sounds great to me. This morning, I went back to my younger days and played some Rap music and I had to turn it up to max to feel 20 years old again :) Previous, much better systems ---I could get no where near max. In fact, Max on this stereo feels like 1/2 - 3/4 on some other systems I've had.

I won't argue with anyone who says it sucks because I would expect more out of 19 dang speakers especially if I loved my music loud. Oh, I turn the trebble up just past 1/2 way and everything else in the center. Creature of habit from guitar amps and Harley Davidson stereo systems.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did FCA update the HK system or is this really what they are giving their customers for and extra grand? My alpine system in my 15 will blow it's doors off

·
Registered
73 Posts
I picked up my new Ram today, it has the Alpine system and I was very impressed listening to it on the ride home. Quarter volume was plenty for this 40yr old grandpa, crystal clear sound. I am gonna mess with all the setting this weekend, few things I need to figure out on this thing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My Alpine is way too bass heavy for my taste. Had to back it off three notches from level to not feel like a 18 year old looking for attention.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm disappointed with the H-K audio. The Alpine in my '17 would blow it into the weeds. I have about 400 tunes on usb that I used for the time I had the '17 so I recall what sounded good. I don't get the same quality or minute reproduction of instruments with this system. I've tried it with the surround off and on. I've adjusted the EQ and the fade and balance, but it's just not as good. I also find that you have to have the volume way up to get anything at all from it.

I saw something about a recall or fix for the H-K system on certain models. As I remember, this was for vehicles produced early in the run. I'll have to see if i can find that info. Anyone else have this opinion?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll update my own post here. Did a search and found this post on another Ram forum;

"Just got the truck back from the dealer and i had them look at the HK. They performed an amplifier enhancement update... significant increase in volume for me."

There are other posts in that thread talking about a TSB for this issue. It is definitely in my future!

If anyone here has the specific info on the TSB I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Okay, obviously this isn't a topic that's generated much response. I will go ahead and finish what I started concerning the TSB for the HK system in case some owner gets frustrated with the less than stellar performance of what should be a remarkable system.

Everything worked out today for me to visit a Ram dealer and ask the service dept. to apply TSB 08-123-18. The tech performing the work said he initially thought it was to address the flickering screen issue in the 12" nav system, but learned it's only to increase the voltage delivered to the amp of the HK system. I think he said it steps it up by twice? I could be wrong on that. If the system is billed as having 900 watts, it makes you wonder what it's actually running prior to the voltage increase. The visit to the dealer took about 50 minutes including all of the monkey business up front before the tech was assigned.

I had a two hour drive home and that gave me plenty of time to fine tune things and listen to several cuts that I recall sounded good on the 2017 Alpine system. I am happy to report that this system is now at least as good as the Alpine. To me, the system sounds the best with the surround turned off and the fader to the back two notches. I have my EQ stepped up from left to right 2 3 and 4. I tend to color my EQ a little on the bright side and this system has a lot of bass already.

Before the TSB, I'd see the volume settings up in the 29 and 30 range for mediocre sound. Now it's all you want in the 19-20 range. It definitely made a huge difference and I would recommend it for anyone who's not exactly wowed by the HK system. Hopefully this info will help someone in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the update, I really appreciate the info.

I traded in a 2008 Nissan Titan with Rockford Fosgate system for my '19 Limited with the HK speakers and was extremely underwhelmed with the sound system.

I can't wait to get the flash

Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread:smileup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for the update, I really appreciate the info.

I traded in a 2008 Nissan Titan with Rockford Fosgate system for my '19 Limited with the HK speakers and was extremely underwhelmed with the sound system.

I can't wait to get the flash

Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread:smileup:
You're very welcome. Please post back after the TSB install and share your thoughts. Congrats on your new Ram and welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I test drove a 19 Ram last week with the Harmon Kardon system. Before arriving I sent the TSB # and ask the salesman if the flash was performed. He assured me it was but the sound was ok at best. I’m thinking about buying the truck but I how do I verify it was performed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i can say my 2020 with the HK system , is awesome !! blows my redeye HK radio out of the water , quality sound and blows away the alpine i had in the Rebel , they fixed that for 2020 , they got it right .

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^^ Enjoy mine as well. I'm no audio expert but it blows away the B&O system from my Mustang.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i can say my 2020 with the HK system , is awesome !! blows my redeye HK radio out of the water , quality sound and blows away the alpine i had in the Rebel , they fixed that for 2020 , they got it right .
2020 dodge challenger Harman Kardon® Audio Group factory stereo speakers is away adjust gains of the subwoofer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts